coral spacing.

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Sataly, Jan 29, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

So I've been getting a few corals here and there and just the other day I finally bought a spiny cup coral.( tank is a lil over 1 1/2 now so I feel its stable enough for a spiny. Have a normal cup and its doing fine) I really that it needs to be from mid to high flow and mid to high placement for lighting. I picked a spot for it this it fit nicely into but the problem is thst a few other corals surround it and its quite a big piece. The corals ths surround it are a green skimmer just to the upper right side of it. A galaxia to the far left (5 or more inches away from each other. A chalice on the fsr right (kinda out sight of each other so a good 8-10 inches) and then the normal cup coral (or at least I think its a cup) about 3 inches away. The chalice is a recovering piece thst I saved so its growing back to health. The galaxia is tennis ball sized and still growing mad. The green slimer is fairly new and growing and the cup is probably a lil over quarter size.. the spiny cup is the largest being baseball sized. Ill post pictures up in a bit to show how far apart theu are from each other and wanted to get opinions. Sorry if I rambled a bit. Just kinda late and getting married in 2 weeks. Only thing keeping my nerves down is my tank. :p

Corailline likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Ok so here are the pics. Dont know if they'll show up because derp phone is derp.

Attached Files:

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi Salaty, a big congrats to you. Whatever you have to do to keep sane right now works for me. :p

LPS are killers to neighboring corals for sure, it sounds like you have adequate space.

What I would do is get up extra early before the lights come on and check and see which coral is sending out mesenterial filaments. Add to that I would also get up or stay up late, a couple hours after lights out and watch for neighbor wars.

HTH

Nice coral BTW, I am not familiar with a spiny cup, it looks like a Pectinia.

Edit: Just looked it up and yes indeed it is a Pectinia, not the easiest LPS.

5. Sataly

Sure isn't but I feel pretty well with my tank can keep it growing and happy. I do weekly changes (about 35 to 45) skimmer rated for 210, no dosing but still getting great growth. I may end up dosing towards the end of the year because il will be adding more corals So I worry about the consumption rate at that time. As it is, its stable. the spacing was just worrying a Bit. The galaxia likes to get adventurous and havent seen the chalice fly its sweepers out yet. The spiny has some all over its body and its quite interesting to see. Not use to having a coral like this.

6. Sataly

Update! Just went to go look amd make sure no one is attacking each other and no one is.....but! In mh new spiny cup coral I noticed a good sused hole with a black worm coming out of it. First time I havent dipped and it bites me. Worried its going to kill the spiny so off to Wal-Mart I go to get some Bayer!

7. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

I dip everything and swap out the frag plugs(even if it's encrusted). If it dies, it dies. Better to lose a frag than letting something loose in the tank.

Congrats on getting married.

8. Click Here!

9. Sataly

Super mega panic update that just saved my tank possibly!!!!!!

I caught the bugger leaving the spiny and dipped the rock faster then the speed of light because from the looks of it, it quite frighten me! Judging by the head structure and the tentecals coming from the front I think I just got rid of a big problem that could have grown twice the size of my arm! Heres a picture. My guess is a Medusa worm

Edit: closer look at it, it isn't a Medusa. It almost looks like a face of a centipede. You can make out eyes and a mouth. Also to note Im not going to use the rock I dipped incase anyone was wondering. Worride about the Bayer being absorbed into the rock to much. Dipped the coral anyways to be safe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Euclid worm, hmmm very interesting.

Nice catch literally, they can cause a lot of frustration and loss of livestock.

Do not blast that Pectina with too much lighting.

11. Sataly

1. I lowered the pectina down a bit so hopfully itll be a good spot for it.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Nice buy and good catch. Watch that aptasia to the lower right of the pectinia coral. It will make quick work of that new piece.