Coral reefs facing extinction

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by MaMoL, Jul 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MaMoL

MaMoL Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Article

Well this isn't really new news by any means. Generally, every article that I read about this topic always says the same thing; lower greenhouse gases and create targeted conservation efforts.

However, I always feel like these articles never leave readers with any action to take. So I was hoping to get a discussion going about what we (every day people like you and me) can do to help. Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Buy only tank raised fish , coral , ect. for our tanks and make our own live rock instead of importing it will help and trade frags with others ;D

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I know this may seem cliche, but start to be concerned with your carbon footprint. I posted a link a while back to a personal carbon footprint calculator a while back. For example, when purchasing a new car, think of better millage and lower emissions, keep lights off, purchase high efficiency heaters, air conditions and appliances when in the market. Oil only has a few more decades before it is depleted. It may not seem like an individual can make a difference, but we have to start somewhere. By lowering carbon output, the ocean, which is the biggest carbon sink, will have less to absorb. One of the reasons the reefs are dying is because of something many of us struggle ourselves to keep in control, alkalinity. As more carbon is present, the oceans ph is dropping, becoming more acidic, the details involve chemistry and carbonates, but i forget the exact equations. One of the immediate things we can do is to buy frags, and tank raised fish, but the long term issues are going to need more drastic changes.

(Don't mean to sound like a radical, just my own thoughts)

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

This isnt a very good topic because it gets political really quick. There are some people who do not believe in "global warming" scare tactics.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Heres a good example...

http://http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2007/10/09/court-identifies-eleven-inaccuracies-al-gore-s-inconvenient-truth

Quotes from that site...