Coral placement

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Billme, Nov 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I just have a general questionon how far apart corals should be placed. I keep a good amount of separation (4-5 inches) between them. I see many mature aquariums where they are almost touching. Most look healthy. An additional note, I almost never see their stingers extended. In fact, the only time I have seen them is when I was putting them in the aquarium after a long car ride. Could this mean they aren't feeling defensive and therefore not stressed? Is it normal not to see their stingers? They all are doing fine and the parameters are good? Just wondering if I'm giving them too much room?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Billme, can you list specific coral types please.

LPS will send out long sweep tentacles loaded with nematocyst to kill and digest other types of LPS and SPS. Hydnophora, Galaxea, Pavona can kill another nearby coral quickly.

Some soft corals employ allelopathy.

Some sps types can be right next to each other without issue, while some like Monitopora want more room.

In my opinion you're not giving them too much room. You'll know when trouble starts between corals.

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Good point corailline. Specifically, I have a green Gonipora flowerpot (unfortunately don't have species name). I've read it has sweepers up to 12 inches. I have yet to see any. Don't even know what they look like. He is located about 4 inches from a red goni flowerpot. Neither seem bothered by the other. I guess I'm concerned about a year from now assuming they grow.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I believe you may have confused the sweepers of a galaxea coral with that of a goniopora.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

this is the goni I was refering to. It is my understanding that they have sweepers, though it may really depend on the species which I have not been able to peg.

Attached Files:

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Looks like a Duncan to me..

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

No it's a Goniopora, I have never really seen aggression issues with Goniopora.

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Any idea how to find out the species?

11. Corailline

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie