Coral or not to coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by rjweng, Jun 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rjweng

rjweng Astrea Snail

Well I have been thinking of starting with soem basic hardy corals, but not sure were to start. I have read that shrooms and star polyps are pretty good for beginners. I have had the tank up and running for about 4-5 months; 65 gal ( 36x18x24) I just put in a 10,000k flor. bulb in my light ( only a single bulb light), has 60lbs LR, 3-4 inch DSB.

First off, should I think of switching to possible PC light or just try and get a dual Flor bulb light? Or will the shrooms and polyps be ok with the 10,000k bulb up near the top until I can upgrade the light( hoping for my B-day in Sept)?

ALso are there any anemones that can handle low light?

anyways any help regarding thoughts and Ideas for corals would help
    thank you
    rj

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I definitely would not go with an anemone. Not good for beginners, especially with less than optimal lighting.
    As for the light you have now, I would try and upgrade to atleast a pc fixture, but T5's or metal halides is the way to go-better to get the new intense lights now rather than spend money for another fluorescent light only to have to spend more to upgrade in the near future.
    Mushrooms, polyps such as star, and buttons as you mentioned, don't require intense lighting and are excellent for the beginner reefer. I just don't think that one fluorescent bulb is going to work, even up top in your tank.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

One word... softies. leathers, mushrooms, zoanthids, etc, etc. Also, there are some really hardy anemones, condylactis anemones. Not very attractive but will do for the insufficient light you have.

5. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Once you get a few corals you will always want more. Have fun and enjoy them.

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

And so the addiction begins... ;)

You do have a second job lined up don't you?

7. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

yup. a reef tank easily drains you of cash.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

why not try some non-photosynthetic corals like sun polyps or carnations untill you get more lighting...those corals might be tough to keep though. But getting those should not stop new lights from coming. t-5s are great. i say go for those instead of pc. i had pc and the t-5 are much better.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Dendronepthea are awesome looking as Bruce stated, however they are very dificult to keep! Some awesome looking Gorgonians that aren't symbiotic(photosynthetic) especially The purple colored ones would be a nice colorful addition as well . Also, you may want to try some of the sponges(Porifera). Most do not require much by way of lighting and are very cryptic in nature(needing very little light). They are awesome filter feeders as are Tridacna's (large clams) and feather dusters!

11. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

non photosynthetic corals are kinda hard to keep even with experienced hobbyist.
    low light corals (lagoonal?) might be easier. Mushrooms and other softies.

12. rjweng

rjweng Astrea Snail

well I think I will just wait for now, wait for the better lighting... will save up for the T-5's. Also having a hair algae bloom right now, just grabbed more blue legged hermits and a yellow tang in hope to over come the algae.