CORAL NOOBIE I seek help!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by rewris, May 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I don't know if you need a cover over your bulbs or not hopefully someone will chime in and confirm. I wouldn't think you need covers since you over hang on each side but I think they are supposed to hang or be a little ways from the top. again I dont have t5 lighting so I cant help you there.

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I think the glass tank cover is what there referring to,not the one covering your bulbs.Uncovering your tank will really help with your heat problem,evaporation will increase helping to cool the water,youll just need to top off more often, with r/o water .

1 person likes this.
  4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Like sailorguy mentioned evaporative cooling is a VERY effective way at maintaining tank temps... I would remove the glass and you will see the temp drop fairly rapidly.

How old is the test kits? By that I mean how long have they been open?

5. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

I found that until my fans come in I have a box fan on really low blowing. I do have halides and they put off a lot of heat. This has worked for me with maintaining my temp till I get my chiller/fans.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

This is a problem too. It will also contribute to your heat.

You should run blues only longer than the whites.

Try changing your schedule to

8am-9pm two blues
    10am-7pm the white and other blue

personally, I don't run whites more than 10 hours and I don't run my blues for more than 12. but in any event, you want the whites on the least amount of time in the middle.

I actually run mine at:

830-830 actinics (blue)
    1045am-630pm T5 10k's (white)

7. rewris

rewris Skunk Shrimp

I'm gonna take the top off and hopefully It'll help enough, combined with the fan, I really hope to get back down to 82°.

8. Click Here!

9. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I did exactly the same thing on my tank with a clip on fan $8.00 at walgreens and my temp stays around 79. I think you will solve the heat problem now.

10. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

Is there sun beaming through windows heating up the room? If so try using a thick blanket on the windows. Should drop the temp good in the room wich sholud in turn drop the tank temp a degree or so.

11. rewris

rewris Skunk Shrimp

Oh I have no windows sir. It's in a basement. The temp rises in there during the summer to around 85. :(

I hope the fans + no top brings it down, cause even though a chiller is definitely out of my reach right now, and I'm trying to do component that I NEED, big enough that it can handle my upgrade tank (whenever that will be). Futureproofing. So this fan thing better work. lol.

Now the new problem will be evaporation :D

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Not only will the removal of the glass top do wonders for your heat problem, it will stabilize your pH. With the top on, gas exchange is inhibited, you get an increase in CO2 and thus an increase in carbonic acid in your water. This can drive pH down in to the mid to upper sevens.

Also, I would definitely decrease you photoperiod to 12 on 12 off. That is for both actinics and daylight. If it were me, I would run an hour either side for actinics, leaving a 10 hour daylight photoperiod. That will help as well. Add the fans and you are in like flynn. You my still get spikes in the summertime months, but nothing like you have right now. And being in the basement, I would be surprised if you get over 80 degrees.