coral life t5-ho fixture

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by ClippersTown, Aug 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If your looking for longevity then buy quality. If your trying to get some light on the tank super quick then go for it. I just prefer to buy quality. When I started in this awesome hobby I saved money buy purchasing a crap T5 fixture and had problems within a month or two. I learned real quick that its better to save and buy quality. My tank and livestock are great because of it. You can find some really good stuff on line that's used. I would buy a used quality fixture versus a new low end fixture. Its your choice, just my opinion.

2. Click Here!

3. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

I totally get that, I'm like that too. But you haven't answered my question, and that is: What is it that makes this quad fixture low quality?

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had one of those fixtures. I replaced them with ATI bulbs and only 2 of the 4 would worked on occasion. It also smelled like hot burning plastic.

Another member had an Ebay special light (4 T-5, 2 metal halide) and he;s had 5 different ballasts in a years time.

I am sure there are some good experiences, but those are mine.

5. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Honestly, I would check your local Craigslist listings. You can find amazing units at cheap prices.

7. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

what are some good brands for t5 lighting fixtures?

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Its the quality of ballasts and hardware, pretty sure I said that. Crappy parts thrown together=low end fixture. I don't know how else to tell you man. Nova products are great, I run a current nova pro 6 bulb fixture. Aquatic life, wave point, there's good ones out there and deals on craigs list. Brand new a good fixture will be around 300.00

10. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

I understood that, my question was how do you KNOW if the quality of the ballasts and hardware are good or bad? just gotto read the reviews?

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

This and personal experience says it all.