coral life t5-ho fixture

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by ClippersTown, Aug 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

Ye cool... bumping this. Some help would be appreciated, guys.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

What are you gonna keep in your tank? I'm a big T5 fan but I honestly wouldn't use anything less than a quad fixture. Avoid super cheap fixtures, trust me.

5. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

I'm thinking of getting the 40 gallon and keeping sps, as my current 10 gallon is all lps and softies... so, would this fixture be better?

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's another cheap fixture, avoid it. Your looking at a good 300 dollars for a quality T5 fixture with good reflectors, ballasts and hardware. Number of bulbs doesn't matter if it doesn't penetrate the tank. It would be good for a FOWLER but if your gonna keep corals especially SPS and want them to thrive and grow, don't skimp on lighting. If you go cheap then you'll be rewarded with loss and frustration.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would suggest a 4 bulb fixture for the 40 and suggest hanging it about 30" above the sand. Get good bulbs like ATI and Geisemann.

8. Click Here!

9. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

what's wrong with the fixture, exactly? and for $300, wouldn't i be better off getting an LED fixture for the same price (even putting a little more money on it)?

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm not a believer in led lighting. 300 is cheap for lighting with a sps tank.

11. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

idk, from my experience LED's work great, they're working wonders on my lps and softies.... but again, anything specifically wrong with that 4 bulb fixture I posted? it produces a total of 156 watts, so i don't see the problem.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think if the fixture has reflectors and a ballast to run four bulbs, I don't see the problem either. Oh, and you need a cooling fan as part of it too. If you use quality bulbs (ATI/Geismann) then I think you should be ok IMO. I can't speak to the specific ones you posted. I do think individual reflectors are nicer but I have nothing scientific to back that up. HTH.