Coral Identification

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by patz07, Aug 18, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. patz07

patz07 Plankton

Great ID!

Wow! I'm glad to be here at 3reef with enthusiastic and friendly guys. I agree with amcarrig that it's Montipora hirsuta. I enlarged the picture (attached) and indeed the corallites are fine and the tips are flattened in some instances with a white tip. At least I'm sure now it's not an Acropora at all. I appreciate though the efforts of ziggy, Jason, and everyone.

Well, what I had been envisioning was a large aquarium to house all those diverse and beautiful corals I see in the field. [All coral acquarium enthusiasts will be consultants by then!]. They're in grave danger of extinction because of the Tragedy of the Commons! I hope I have the money to do that, but I'm just a poor, salaried guy working to make ends meet. Thanks omard for your interest and it would be great to tour you around while the reefs are here.

Again, thanks for helping me. Boy, I'm so glad.:)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And gals ;D

Glad that we can be of assistance. Keep the pictures coming as we just love challenges :)

4. patz07

patz07 Plankton

Hi, sorry, of course, gals. It's really difficult to identify gender just by their user names. I'll send some more interesting pictures I'd gather where potentially we can find some real challenge. Thanks...

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I got your back girl! LOL

patz07, we all have the same vision :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  6. patz07

patz07 Plankton

Fresh Pics

Hello again, everyone, gals and guys.

Actually it's my first time to post like this and I don't know how long threads should be. But anyway, since these corals intrigue me a lot, I upload two pics for ID. Out of 500 pictures I took in different places in the field, these corals (?) appeared only once in a quadrat. Well, these corals must really be rare species. :) What do you think?::)

Attached Files:

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That second pic, I assume you want to i.d. the coral on the top right of the picture?

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

both would be nice. they are nice looking but it the one on the right bleaching or is that it's color?

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Googled "Palawan" --- Looks GORGEOUS! :eek:

Visited PI a number of times in my military days. Being young and dumb, spent most of time in bars. :p --- But as somebody else once said, "I SHALL RETURN!"

Have worn out welcome in Bali.

Palawan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BRIEF DESCRIPTION
    The island province of Palawan has been declared as a nature sanctuary of the world, and for good reason. It is wrapped in a mantel of rainforests, outstanding dive sites, majestic mountains, primeval caves, and pristine beaches. It is surrounded by a coral shelf that abounds with varied and colorful marine life. It boasts of exotic flora and fauna, like the mousedeer and the scaly anteater, that are found nowhere else.

Palawan waters are among the best in the world, not only for diving but also for fishing. A diver's paradise, it has miles of sub-surface coral and rainbow reef walls which surround the coasts and coves teeming with rich marine life.

I am coming. :)

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

First pic seems to be of some type of Pachyseris coral (scroll down about halfway down this page)

POPPEIMAGES™

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm actually thinking that the "thing" on the left in that picture is a cushion starfish.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007