Coral eating Nudibranches...PH*CK !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Otty, Jun 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

No dip will eradicate them . Best deal I have heard of is Flatworm exit at 10 drops to the gallon of tank water and let them soak in it for about an Hr. Then blast them clean But you have to eggs to deal with.. And no dip kills them even the almighty freshwater even with a hint of copper the eggs are safe. Like posted the simplest way to to toss them out.. And give the tank about 6 months to allow them to starve out.. It seems to have become a real problem in the last 3 yrs ..

So many hobbyist not knowing any better and swapping corals from North to south and east to west they have spread like wildfire.. The Lemon Wrasse will eat them.. But they are hard to keep long term.. And Major Jumpers..

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

freshwater dip does kill them, but apparently not all of them. Lugols works as well. but like I said in a earlier post, you still need to remove the eggs manually like i did.

Several kinds of wrasse's will eat them, but like tangy said, they are known jumps and finicky eaters.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I had to soak again in flatworm exit last night and then I blasted it with high pressure RO/DI water to get rid of them all. I will keep baby sitting this little guy as long as I see growth. The polyps took a long time to come back out after the high pressure water....:-/

5. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Flat worm exit, along with some small juvenile watermelon wrasse......sounds crazy but it has worked for me, on numerous occasions in defferent systems. I personally would throw out any piece infected with true predatory nudis period, just not worth the risk depending on the age of your tank. not worth risking, If youve ever seen a nudi egg deposit first hand youll know the risk, a few adult nudis means hundreds could be on the way....

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:eek: Yee Gads! ---- These must be spreading thru LFS's also...I am never adding another coral ("Insha'allah" - "God Willing") to my tank again. --- hopefully can go at least another 4/5 years without adding a fish.

Everyday I thank God for no ick, aptasia, hair algae, & now coral eating nudi's --- Got lots to be thankful for. (I do have asterinas which I would like to get rid of, but they are fairly easy to keep under control)

Good luck to all who are cursed with these little monsters.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

We at the facility where I work have been studying their life-cycle trying to find a wink link in their process..And a link in the chain that can be easily broken.. So far what I have found out is even with out a source of food they can live past 3 months.. And in a few controlled segregated tanks they will lay eggs only in and on Monties.. But the eggs are bullet proof almost.. If you miss one packet you have a few dozen on your hands when they hatch.. It seems all are stumped with the way to control them..

I say best thing to do is to to remove all Monties and leave the tank void of any montipora for 6 months ..And this is still a guess as we have not been working starvation for that long.. But at 3 months they are still alive.. And old eggs are still hatching..

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

where do you work tangster?

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have the link at the house, I will post it when I get home if Roger doesn't beat me to it.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And what if I beat you to it? :)

Aquatic Art Technologies, L.L.C.

12. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Everybody on Nano-Reef swears by Tech-D....or was it M ?

Anywho...they say it kills nudis but not the eggs...handpick those (like everybody else has already said)