Coral dips

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by T-BASS, Jun 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

For those of you who dip their new corals before adding to tank, what is your favorite method or product you use? I have yet to dip anything but think I will start to do so. Looking for methods. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Since no one has responded....I have never done it but from reading, many use Lugols' Iodine for their dips. I don't know the solution dilution though.

4. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

Yeah me either. Just thought about starting to dip because of all the horror stories I've read about:evil:

5. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Great thread! Wish I would know what to do with my dying hammer coral...

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I use the brightwells coral dip, I forget exaclty what it's called. It's basially just an iodine dip. I've heard good things about Tropic Marine too, but again, that's basically just an iodine dip.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

it depends on the corals. For zoas I will normally just do FW dip, for sps I use lugols LPS depends.......I might dip it in FW, might use lugols, might not dip it at all. Montis I will never put in my tank again without doing lugols dip and quarantening it with repeat dips.

8. Click Here!

9. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

Thanks for the reply. To be more specific, how long do you dip for? Do the dips come with directions?

10. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I use brightwell aquatics lugol's solution. and use 15 drops to 1/2 gallon of tank water and dip coral for 10 to 12 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Most should come with some directions. I dip sps in the Brightwells Coral dip for about 10-12min, and dip lps for about 8 min.

1 person likes this.
  12. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I use Coral-Rx following instructions on bottle. I've only got zoas, mushrooms, palys and green star polyps. The first piece of rock I got with zoas I didn't dip. Later on I found it had aipstasia, bristle worms and bubble algae. I quarantine my corals now.

1 person likes this.