Coral color with led vs halides?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by needmorecowbell, May 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Correct but I tire of the constant banter of those who claim LED has more PAR. It is flat out not true unless you are comparing watt for watt, then the edge could go to the LED's but only to those fixtures that are made with high quality LED. If you compare the current fixture's out there, a AI Sol is not equivilent to 270 watts of MH as stated on the box. Neither is the 120 watt Radion.

The MH's worst enemy is the reflector. A poorly designed reflector can loose 40% of the output. Unfortunately The majority of the fixtures that beginniers purchase are using these poor performing reflectors. If you have ever used a reflector that maximizes the MH light into the tank then you would see the difference.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

Actually, it's been The par has been measured an if is true. It's been measured by mr. X on aquarium advice forums.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Just a reminder that the title of this thread is: Coral color with led vs halides?

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Sorry Matt you are correct, and for color Spectrum is what matters. LED is playing catch up but catching up quickly now that new fixtures have seemed to move away from the enexciting Blue and Cool White diode standard of the last few years.

6. needmorecowbell

Yep, sorry.

Here's a pic of the par of LEDs...[​IMG]

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

What sized tank is that? looks to be a 180g. But keep in mind this thread is not about PAR. It's about coloration.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. needmorecowbell

Yes it's about 180. I think he bought it custom.

I thought it was relevant, sorry again.

Vividaquariums.com did an experiment with metal halides and LEDs which turned out nicely. It did favor the mh though.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Didnt read through the whole thread, but tbh, i dont like what LEDs have done for my tank as far as color, the T5's at the LFS do better then my LEDs, and the T5s have a yellower spectrum then my LEDs.

11. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

IMO it's hard to beat halides. I've seen some really good looking tanks under LEDs, but with that said most of the really extravagant sps tanks I've had the pleasure of viewing were all under halides. I've never owned an LED set personally, but after owning a halide and seeing the growth and coloration from it, it'd be hard for me to switch.

12. Barry_keith

Barry_keith Plankton

A whole lot of other factors play in with the color of our corals. Some people have a very hard time getting corals to color-up under MH.

While some of the colors have changed a little bit since I've been running LEDs nothing looks "faded or brown" I am very pleased with the growth and color. And for those who say growth is better, I think that it is insignificant when compared to the advantages of running LEDs