Coral browning, too much or too little light?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by GuitarMan89, May 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I've had it for about 5 months. It started out as as bluish/green. Here's picture
    [​IMG]

Here it is now. As you can see, It has been growing very well. I just moved it towards the bottom of my tank. I have had it higher up for the past several weeks and it hasn't really changed at all. It actually looks a little better since I moved it. The center is a little more yellow/brown then in the picture. The growing edges are a greyish/white.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Another quick point, from the growth pattern, I feel that it may want less light, as it has been growing downwards. Don't know though if that is the case.

4. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

Now with those pictures, it looks more like too much light. Yes they do perfer lower lighting with lower flow but that picture looks more "too much light" then "a nutrient/ water quality issue". They will change with lighting position as I may move an acro that's been at the top right and it'll go from a brilliant blue to a brown when moved until it adjusts and it's baby blue now.
    I know my Zoas show color changing toward light the most. Some Zoas like it high and some thrive low... same with Acro. Just because they are bright doesn't mean they like it high.