'Coral Bank' Created to Preserve Threatened Reefs

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Will freezing work? :-/
    Any of these people aware of our fragging success?

Oct. 26, 2009 -- An international meeting on climate change in Copenhagen has heard the prospects of saving the world's coral reefs now appear so bleak there are plans to freeze samples to preserve them for the future.
    Describing it as a last-ditch attempt, a team of scientists from the U.K. is collecting reef samples that will be frozen and cultivated in what they are describing as an ark.
    The scientists say if humans do not do something soon to reduce the damage, the reefs will be reduced to rubble by the middle of the century.

'Coral Bank' Created to Preserve Threatened Reefs : Discovery News

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

while sad but true.. I wish there were more that we can do to save the reefs.. I just tried to bump up the old donate to save the reef thread.. If we could get back on that, it would be great.

4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

How sad. It crushes me to think that my grandchildren may never know what the great barrier reef is other than in old pictures and footage.
    I bet that if each Reefer would donate just one coral the reefs would look the way they once did.
    Rather than freeze them, why don't they try to slowly condition them to survive in warmer conditions?