Coral Banded Shrimp Shell

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by cuttingras, Oct 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

My Coral Banded Shrimp just shed and this was floating around in the water. I saw him a few minutes later perched on his favorite rock. First I pulled off a claw leg, when I tried to get it out of the water, then I got the tweasers and got it out. Pretty Cool!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:eek:

I am always amazed when I see this occur.

Have always wondered about the process of it:confused: How the heck does the animal get out of the shell/skin and keep it looking so perfectly intact? :-/ (Does it crawl out through belly button(?) - (if had one) or other orifice. ??? - or does it pull it off like a t-shirt???:-/ --- weird.:confused:

Had an arrow crab that shed itself so perfectly, that when first saw it, I thought the one had cloned itself overnight. ::)

4. cuttingras

When I saw it shoot past my first reaction was "NO Not my shrimp" and them I said "NO dummy it shed". I usually just find bit and pieces, but lucky for me, my insomnia was in full swing last night and I was up staring at the fish tank at 2:30 in the morning, and was able to catch it before the crabs got a hold of it I did throw it away since I figured it would start to stink pretty soon. LOL ;D

5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

It is amazing that this happens and even more so when you see it happen. I have a cleaner and a coral banded. They normally shed at night when the lights are off. I happened to be passing the tank one night when the Coral Banded was in the process of shedding. Very interesting.

6. New2Salt

New2Salt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Very cool! My CBS is insane. When I feed my fish Formula A, he swims to the suface to steal the cubes. Also, when I clean the tank, he attacks me! He is (by far) the most aggressive/miserable creature in my tank! We named him Bandit because of the obvious homonym, but also because of his personality.

He's a shady little bugger; I will enjoy flushing his shell when he sheds! I will consider it vicarious torture for having to put up with his shady ways!! ;D

Case in point...look at him scoping out the clown. I can tell he has really bad intentions!

Attached Files:

7. cuttingras

This was the first time I had the whole thing usually I'll find a claw or leg.......I had it on the paper towel where I took the pic and left it there overnight..My son woke up the next morning and found it and asked did he die?? Did you get a new one?? LMAO he's 22 LOL

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I had a cleaner shrimp that shed so many times it was rediculous. It out grew my 12 gal in no time. Not really out grew it , but it was so out of proportion, I took him back to my buddies shop for a smaller one. But I didn't call before i went, so of course he didn't have any smaller ones. So now I'm shrimpless!!!!! BUT I DO HAVE STORE CREDIT>>>>>;D

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I am really disappointed with my new Coral Banded Shrimp - has been in main tank about 2 weeks now, and what, maybe I have seen it 3 times. Just when I am thinking he is dead and gone, he makes an appearance for a couple of minutes then disappears again.

I guess if I had to live in a tank with a couple of aggressive maroon clowns, and a pack of damsels - I might be inclined to stay hidden also.

Is so bad, I went down to LFS and bought another for my Nano. At least I get to see this one as it has nowhere to hide. :p

(am hoping the one in main tank will get acclimated to the sometimes frenetic fish activity...and will eventually come out and join in the fun.) :-/

11. New2Salt

New2Salt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Omard, you must have a pretty big tank (or some elaborate aquascaping). Aren't these shrimp SUPPOSED TO be provided with hiding spaces??? ven in my BioCube, my CBS is able to hide if he wants.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Main Tank 125 Gal.​

[​IMG]

Plenty of room and hiding places.

12 Gallon Nano​

[​IMG]

CBS just a little guy now. Hides out in Kenya Tree, or Finger leather when it wants some peace. Otherwise it is out and about being fairly active. Esp. at feeding time. ;D

Scott