Coral Assistance

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jimmy_beaner, Jun 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Red Sea Pro test kits ordered. Be in this week I hope. In the mean time, I have a 30% water change starting up.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You should bring the SG up to at least 1.025, personally I like 1.026-27 better, well my corals like it better.

I believe you have found your problem, but I would test ALK again. I would also test the big 3 in a freshly made up batch of RC before you add it to the tank.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Isn't that a Lobo with a little tissue damage?

5. jimmy_beaner

I think it's a Lobo. I'm not sure why it would have tissue damage though. There are what look like little pods I can see on its plug.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'd wait for the Red Sea kit before doing anything else. Your calc. May be fine, just reading incorrectly on the current test. Verify before dosing. Jmo

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The skeleton is very sharp and pointy, so it's easily damaged in transit. IME, they like a little less light than acan Lords. If it eats, it's not doing too bad.

If you're not testing sg using a refractometer and calibrating solution, you should. IMO, your other test results don't matter if your sg is off, so get that in line first.

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

I use a refractometer... and I wouldn't dose without the new tests. I'm talking about water changes to get the measures up.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

make sure to get some 1.026 calibration fluid for it.

Also I think salt mix got you into this mess.

11. jimmy_beaner

I picked up a bucket of just plain IO. We'll see if that doesn't help straighten things out. I had always used the Reef Crystals, so maybe that is part of it. I look forward to the new test kits. I have 30 gallons of the last of the salt ready to go and picked up a 60 gallon bag of IO for more water changes. I'll try to do a few over the next couple days to try to help pull things closer to in line. Being that I'm not adding anything, as long as salinity is correct... I shouldn't run into too high of values.

12. jimmy_beaner

After a 30 gallon water change this morning...
    Calcium - 360
    Alk - 12 dKH

I have regular IO mixing right now for another water change. I'm wondering if I got baking soda on something?? It would have to be a literal ton to make this kind of a mess though.