Coral Assistance

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jimmy_beaner, Jun 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What salt mix are your using and do you add a buffer?

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

A couple DSLR pictures should help the situation...
    You can see the Acan. lord. in the background.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I moved it from the rocks down to the sand. If it's too much light, that should help.

4. jimmy_beaner

I use Reef Crystals. I don't add anything to it. I've never dosed anything. I also don't do many water changes considering I don't have a lot of stuff in the tank yet. Last change was probably 30% about 7 weeks ago. 90 gallon tank with about 20 gallons in the sump.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I would put my money on HIGH alk and LOW calcium.

6. jimmy_beaner

Any way to correct other than water change? I can start mixing the water change water now... but I'd love to be able to start correcting the problem if possible sooner than tomorrow.

7. Corailline

This is the reason I do not use RC. A great salt mix but man my ALK is always out of wack when I use it and I do use it sometimes when I am out of IO.

I agree with Alex, Alk too high and Ca too low, what about mag.

You could probably get away with some Parts A/B to adjust the Ca and Mag if needed. I use Two Fishies, but I am going try ESV next.

Did you decide on an ID?

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

The exact species isn't likely going to help the current problem (as you highlighted... most LPS share similar requirements). I did shake off a rock less than an hour before the tests. I will redo to be sure though I'm mixing up some water change water right now. I never dosed the Biocube, which is why I went with the RC. I've really liked it so far, but if it's not going to work well... perhaps I should try something else. Is the regular IO salt "better" for things like alk?

I don't have a test for magnesium. I've never dosed it or tested for it.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

IO is well known for being consistent, which is the key. A lot of successful reefers use IO and dose to get parameters to where they want them. RC has high enough levels to avoid dosing with consistent water changes in smaller tanks, however does not have the consistency of IO from batch to batch from what I have read.

I would test a new batch and see what the parameters test out at. I use RC in my tanks, but I am just finishing up my first bucket.

11. Corailline

ALK and Ca will not stay in line unless you keep Mag in line regardless of dosing.

There are some really good mixes out there, personally I use IO because I have better control over parameters and dosing but I have a nano so it's a tad more difficult to keep the big 3 in line.

Look at the Red Sea Pro testing kit for Mag/Ca/AlK.

12. jimmy_beaner

lol... retested
    Alk - 13 dKH (no ppm GH/KH given in chart). This was the first change, from blue to "not blue".
    Calcium - 300 ppm.
    Salinity - 1.023 Also a little lower than I usually have it.