Coquina Rock for saltwater aquarium?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by coyle, Dec 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Will this have too much phosphate and iron?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There was nothing addressing iron levels. More concern over phosphates and elevated alk secondary to the make up of the rock, shell fragements and calcite.
    I think some pieces are very attractive. If the purpose was a fish only tank I would give it a whirl, but for a tank with corals especially LPS and SPS I would probably pass.
    I googled "coquina in marine tanks", not a lot of current information regarding it's use.

4. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Right down the street is a limestone deposit for fossil hunters but there's phosphate in that rock too. Might be a FL thing.

5. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

I looked into coquina rock when I lived in St Augustine to use in a saltwater tank and its not just phosphates and iron but its also the lack of the type of rock you want. Coquina is basically crushed shells but its not very porous so it isn't a good rock to try to turn into live rock.

6. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Oh thanks, that's very helpful. I was just rethinking it (.20c lb made it appealing) but if it's not porous forget it.

7. megaohmer

megaohmer Plankton

coquina in salt water tank

i had coquina in a salt water tank 25 years or so ago and it was fine. It didnt look like that stuff ive seen on line though. this was just picked up off the beach where it had rounded edges from the surf and sand i suppose. Im not sure i like the look of the live rock i see in the store. when i was diving, i never really saw anything in the ocean that looked like it. therefore, i suppose it doesnt look like a natural environment to me. has anyone else seen places in the ocean that look like it?

8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Chiming in from Florida. I live a block from the ocean and took a few nice pieces from the beach and put them into my tank. My levels never really strayed off the norm. I did end up taking them out just because the color of it was boring in my tank. I like the idea of having pieces of my beach in the tank, but the look was plain. Also once I started adding more live rock it stuck out like a sore thumb.