Copper / Live Rock ...

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by bernokarl, Jan 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I used Cupramine in a tank, and then grew corals after. Not right away by any means. A few months of Cuprisorb until it would not turn green, indicating that it was no longer removing copper.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

One could clean up old rock with Cuprisorb if they had the patience like you.

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

I agree my ex gf thinger added coppper to haer tankk when we first started. Now there is nno copper present.it is a fowler tank with a few hermits.(she just had to get the undualter trigger ughhh

5. bernokarl

bernokarl Astrea Snail

IMO "Copper works great to rid of single cell organism" ~

It will harm/kill the live rock and other small critters ~

It will spike ammonia and nitrates due to the missing internal biological self filteration that the organisms and bacteria provide .

I will post here again as soon as my water is absolutly cleen of copper

(to a minnimal ppm that will not read on my test kit and that would be only frome the rock leatching it out into the water)

And once more when copperd rock gets new growth ;D

6. broc1093

broc1093 Astrea Snail

Haha ya, I definitely don't recommend trying copper though lol the malachite green dyed my silicone blue lol and caused a alage bloom but all is well now :)

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Why?

8. Click Here!

9. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

I've been following this thread for a while.

We just converted our freshwater tank to saltwater that's currently in the cycle stage. A few months ago, while it was still freshwater, we treated the tank with API Super Ick Cure and it left several light-blue splotches on a few pieces of the rock. The silicone did not stain. We plan on having inverts and coral, along with fish.

Should we just ditch our old rock? There are several pieces that are awesome that I'm gonna really miss. If I treat the tank with Cuprisorb will evenually remove all copper or is this rock just a total loss?? =(

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Super Ich Cure is Malachite Green and not Copper. I would email Seachem and see if Cuprisorb will help. I've not tried this myself, but I know Poly Filter claims to remove Malachite Green.

1 person likes this.