Copeopod questions

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by andyjoy01, Mar 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andyjoy01

andyjoy01 Plankton

Copeopod numbers are down in my tank, actually decimated compared to what they were before. When I got my Mandarin Goby they were everywhere, hence the reason I figured the goby would thrive. In the span of a day or two now you can only see a few here and there on the glass. Could it be because I cleaned the glass? Or maybe my Mandarin is just a little piggy?
    + I supplemented my tank with DT's live copeopods x1 and I also spot feed around the tank with live phytoplankton.

~Andy :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Just from some things I've heard... that tank may be too small for a mandarin tank(on it's own). I'm sure Packleader will chime in. He has a separate tank just for growing pods. His main tank is 40 gallons.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

could be you cleaned the glass theres no food on it now so they dont go to it. also could be your mandarin, a ant eater eat 35000 ants a day, a mandarin is like have the size of a ant eater comparing the mandarin to copepod size ratio and anteater to ant size ratio.
    so 17500
    pulse mandarin is cold blooded so lets half that again
    8750 thats how many copepods i predict your mandarin eats.
    now this is definitely wrong but how about some karma for effort.;)
    anyway you mandarin probably eats alot of them

1 person likes this.
  5. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

Andy, how long has the tank been established? And a mandarin will decimate a pod population, its good to have a refugium for them to thrive and at least keep a safe population of them... I would keep adding them everyday, I know it can be expensive but the mandarin's are sort of a tough fish to keep... I too want to grab one of these guys, but i know i cant handle one ATM...

Best of luck, and anyone please chime in...

6. andyjoy01

andyjoy01 Plankton

I was definately thinking about starting to breed the little buggers myself. Or else it will get very expensive. Everybody keeps saying the tank might be too small. He seems happy and we have a lot of live rock for him to check out sooo... we will see...

7. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

To sustain a steady population you need a 120 gallon tank or bigger with atleast 150lbs live rock.

Stop cleaning the glass so much. Don't clean it for a week or so and see what happens. Also try feeding them Marine Snow everyday with the filters turned off.

After that week of not cleaning the glass. Turn your lights off for 48 hours. Once the lights come back on you should see a bunch of copepods.

8. Click Here!

9. andyjoy01

andyjoy01 Plankton

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

This is what dragonettes do. If I were a bettin' man, I wouldn't wager any money on the survivability of your mandarin. Not saying it can't be done successfully, in your situation, it's highly un-likely. I have propogated pods before and it's fairly simple. You'll need to either propogate pods or buy them regularly. Also keep in mind that your particular mandarin could already be starved past saving. Does your dragonette have a sunken belly?

11. andyjoy01

andyjoy01 Plankton

What does everybody think about tigerpods?? One LFS said they get them in occasionally but haven't seen them yet.

12. andyjoy01

andyjoy01 Plankton

The dragonette doesn't look like he has a sunken belly.