Coolest coral for the buck!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Callahan, Mar 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Oh, and coolest corals for the buck....that depends on where you go. I don't like spending any more than $60 on a specimen. That limits me pretty well. So I search the two LFS for corals that I believe are mispriced and get those. Also, it helps to rope in an employee who does not know corals. I picked up a HUGE donut coral for $40 one Sunday from a dude who thought it was Ricordea. Now...a ric that size would have gone for hundreds of dollars so this guy was completely clueless. The donut I got I figured was worth $120 just by the size. Coloration was drab. I didn't care. I went there every Sunday after that until they rearranged and repriced their stock. Oh well. It was good while it lasted.

And frags are a good place to start too. I did that with my frogspawn. Got a single head for $30 (overpriced----my first coral) and now it's four heads. Just to give an idea of the difference in pricing I picked up another frogspawn, this time eight heads for $60 at my favorite LFS. Their prices are the best I have ever seen. Anywhere. Including online. So search, search, search. That is half the fun anyway.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

You have a point there!!! Yes sir, you do!!!!

4. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

my experience with anemones is different but im fairly new i have a fairly small one so its not reall that much of a hastle looks funny watching my large maroon clown what appears to be rubbing his bottom on it like a little seat. I think if you buy a small one and dont feed it to much it wont grow and you should be fine

5. ChrisBs

your clown fish will give it all the food it needs and the light will provide the other 80% of what it needs

6. ChrisBs

Another comment watching clowns work an anemone is awesome. Like how the hell do they know to feed it I love the ocean

7. ChrisBs

oh yeah and another one if you have If you have percula or ocelaris clowns they are extremly picky with which anemone they will host the only one i could get them into was a magnifica anemone which are very large and very expensive so keep that in mind

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

:bigcry:we will never see john again, his last words will be "it tastes like chicken"

a good coral for the buck is blue zoos. :stop:wait :stop:wait hear me out.
    they are very expensive but a full rock of blue zoos is perhaps one the most impressive things you can do with zoos. not alot of soft corals come in blue, i consider the deep blue zoos a true treasure.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

zoos are a good coral to add. They grow fast and have a number of different color variations. So you can get smaller colonies of the more expensive ones and they will soon spread and grow.

For some reason I have a hard time with star polyps....dont know why? My SPS can grow just fine...but the starter corals...no luck! I LOVE them though. I am going to try again as I went to a frag swap this weekend and somebody gave me a whole bunch for free.

Mushrooms can be neat also...they will reproduce and spread in your tank Again, there are all sorts of different colors and types.

I would stay away from an anemone. While I am guilty and I have an awesome RBTA in my tank, that my picasso is hosting..I have heard numerous horror stories about them. I very carefully watch it and just pray that it doesnt move and wipe out my clams and SPS and if had to do over again would not get another one. And like said..you have to have a stable tank with good parems

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

:yelrotflm

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Green star polyps for me - under actinic lighting at end of the day - magic
    Blue Zoas - yep seen them on here and the sponsors sites - never seen them in any LFS in my neck of the woods , if I did Id buy some!

Nems - the foot firmly against the front glass location they often choose for themselves is one reason Ill never bother with them again.