Cool i have ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by PorkyBubs, Feb 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

what did you dose the tank with.

2. Click Here!

3. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Ich-Attack, about 18ML (37 gallons worth)

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

next time I wouldn't dose and maybe you can save your fish. does that have copper in it cause you will have totaly wrecked your tank if it does

5. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

No copper, it says 100% organic and reef safe.

6. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Question is it good to have a 9 watt UV sterilizer in a 55 gallon reef tank?

7. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Do not make any changes to your tank for at least two months. Keep testing, and get a test for ammonia. You need to test ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are the most critical. Once these are back in line you can consider adding/deleting from the tank. Your tank is cycling due to the large amount of fish.

Do 10% water changes daily until your ammonia/nitrate/nitrite is under 1/1/5ppm. Then change 10-15% weekly, and test all three before each change. You'll also have to get tests for ph alk ca and st, and do these at least monthly, though they should be ok with proper water changes, and proper salt usage... you are using a reef salt with trace elements, right?....

NOTE WELL THIS EXCEPTION:
    You need to take the large yellow tang to the local fish store, your tank is too small. It will become stressed and die.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

The tang has been in my tank for over a year.

But is the UV sterilizer cool to have in a reef tank.

And yes i wont add anything for a while.

10. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

For future reference...regardless what kind of medication you use, for any kind of disease. It is highly recommended to use a quarantine tank. I wouldn't run a UV all the time, only when you have a diseased tank. But even then, i wouldn't. But people have different opinions.

Some causes that might have led to your unfortunate demise:
    -you tank is overstocked
    -added too many fish at once
    -high nitrates

ways to fix this:
    -feed less
    -don't overstock

and by the way, copper is organic...

Your ich-attack product...is just souped up vitamin K. Naphthoquinones is the "organic" stuff that is used in it. Which is naturally occurring in vitamin K. Just some info!! Good luck my friend!!

11. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Thanks for the info. Hopefully everything gets better.

12. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

ugh that sucks. never does your tank if you can help it, even if it says reef safe its ify... it kills live rock, live sand, inverts, and coral...

it also sounds like there were too many fish for your system. ive made similar mistakes w overstalking my tank, ya live and ya learn...

also just for the heads up tangs are impossible to keep alive in small tanks and even in big tanks its hit of miss