cool! acropora sexual reproduction in London

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Swisswiss, Jan 17, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Yay, exciting, I wonder if we could do the same.... would need a skimmer less tank though, but how cool would that be.

4. Swisswiss

sadly i would think rearing the larvae would be near impossible in your every day aquarium. they most likely need the currents and "primordial soup" that is plankton to survive the initial stages of development. still a tiny tiny tiny beacon of hope none the less

SkyFire likes this.
  5. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

"We use purified London tap water and are miles from reef but we managed to trick them using LED lighting and microprocessors."

LED's was it? I remember when people were bashing LED's saying they won't grow coral, etc.
    Oh Wait- they still are!
    Oh yea, LED's WITH microprocessors? Where can I get those.

I like this part- purified London Tap water! He He, ROTFL

Maybe salt water from a mix, made with...........wait for it................London tap water- oh yea, purified.

I'm sorry to be so sarcastic, but come on, could they have more been any more lay when explaining the spawning in lab conditions.
    It's hard to believe that this in the first time they captured it in lab conditions?
    I had always felt it would not be too difficult to get this in the lab reproducing the lunar cycles, length of daylight, etc.
    Oh wait, I almost forgot- they really just neede the old yankee purified London tap water

I'm holding my breath on this one, ready - go - still holding it............

Next, they'll be cloning humans ;-)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Swisswiss likes this.
  7. Swisswiss

hahaha I agree its written in a rather dubious manner, but there have been cases of corals spawning in captivity. I believe a member of this very forum had it happen to him.

either rearing the larvae would be the real challenge

8. Click Here!

9. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp