Conversion Help: FW to SW

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Manny_World, Dec 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would run the filter cartridge (that has floss and carbon right?) after you're cycled and take the biowheel off - you will want to keep the cartridge clean or change when you see it's dirty. Don't let too much build up on it.

2. Click Here!

3. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

That's right. I've seen a few sumpless tanks (75 gallons) that look good, but if I go that route... I have a feeling I'll stay sumpless. Well, until I want to try venture off into some LPS and SPS. I do plan on getting a 150-250 tank in a few years. Definitely going with a refugium on it. But for this one, since I mostly want soft corals, is still up in the air.

4. oldfishkeeper

FWIW, I ran my tanks without a sump (had a 75 gallon acrylic as my first reef - many years ago) and a 54 gallon corner that I ran for many years. Now that I have a sump, it really is great! I was super nervous about running one but it has turned out well (with the help of our friend) and I really like not looking at all of the stuff in or on the tank (HOB skimmer, HOB filter, heaters) and there are many other bonuses as well. You can be successful in the hobby with either but I'd go with a sump on your first as my .02.

5. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

I have a feeling I'll regret it. Since this is my first time experimenting with SW, I might as well experiment with building a sump refugium. Trying to source a 29 gallon. By the way it's looking, I just might have to pick up a 20 gallon long tank from Pet Smart and make due with it.

6. oldfishkeeper

do you have a petco near you? I know from posts they are running their $1 per gallon sale now.

7. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

I do. Pet Smart is just closer. Literally up the street. Thanks. I'll go and stack up on some H2O.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

She's talking about the PETCO $1 a gallon tank sale. 29gal.=$29

10. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

Oh snap!!! Hopefully this will still be going on in the a.m. It just jump to the number one spot on my to do list. Thank you both!

11. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

The sale is going on until January 24!!!! Good for 10, 20, 29, 40, and 55 gallon tanks.

12. oldfishkeeper

well, there you go! 29 found, check :)