Controlled Plenum Wasting

Discussion in 'Sand' started by dx7fd2, Jun 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

so i have to be careful when vaccuming. I should vaccum light and what if some waste got into the water column.

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

It will be hard to avoid some waste getting into the water column, but that is where it came from in the first place, so a little won't hurt. The nasty stuff is down deep in the sandbed where all the conversions are going on, so you do not want to get too deep into the bed. I think the plant waste you are talking about is on the surface so light vacuuming should suffice!!

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

what if i do accidently mess it up can i be fixed.

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Any leaks I had are now fixed and I have tested the CPW, it holds the siphon very well and all I have to do is open the ball valve into an appropriate waste container and a very nicely controlled stream of fluid comes out from under the plenum. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I would love to try a controlled test with some colored water to see the results of flow through the acrylic tubing but I need to move on.

At present, waiting for funds for the SCWD, locline parts and MAXI 1200s (for in tank circulation). Then on to the lighting. Of course a DIY hood will be involved (red oak, to match the tank).

The Weir,Skimmer, and return system are ready to go. ;D

DIY Auto top-off is in the wings.

Gee, do you think I might need some sand and maybe some salt...hmmm!!!

Thanks again everybody...the project moves forward!!
    OH LOOKIE I'm a Feather Duster!!!

Drew

6. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

Way to go Drew! ;D I agree, it would be neat if a dye test could be run. Hmm...have to give that a thought. Hopefully I can come up with something, but like I said, your design maybe the way to go. ;D

phil

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Thanks, Phil, we will see about the design, I hope it at least helps with keeping the water quality up...

The fruits of my labor will not ripen until a later date!!!

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Cannon and Dx7,

You guys rock!!! You are trying something new but you are researching and thinking. I like that.

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Sand;num=1087396461;start=75#82 date=07/12/04 at 19:12:12]what if i do accidently mess it up can i be fixed.[/quote]

This really is a different issue from this thread. However, IMO it's a very interesting issue. If you want to discuss this, it would probably be a good idea to start a new thread on DSB Maintenance so it can be discussed fully by everyone. JMO

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Just keeping life exciting here on 3reef...we'll try anything!! At least with the CPW experiment, if it doesn't work, I just won't use it. I think it is going to work "JEST FINE"...

I will continue to post about the progress and I want to get some readings from the fluid I pull out from the CPW array. At first I am sure the readings will be unremarkable, but I think it will get more interesting as the bed and plenum establish themselves!!!

11. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

As with life, you never know about something until you try it. ;D

phil

12. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Just an update. I've been using this CPW array for several months now and it is working great. I drain about a litre of water daily and replace with WC water in addition to a 5% WC weekly. The nitrates are consistently 0. ;) The water I pull out is fairly clear but very stinky. I am not going to take out more because I do not want to disturb the bacteria that are working on the nitrates.

I think that this in conjunction with the DIY coiled denitrator are the reason that the nitrates are staying down so low.

Drew