congrats, its a blue baby maxima

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Zissou, Apr 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

hey reef folks i am so excited. i recently purchased a 1 1/2 in baby maxima. friggin awesome. its slowly opening more and more each day. i am feeding phyto feast live and zooplex since it is a baby and needs target feeding. my question is if using a syringe is acceptable for feeding such a beauty? please let me know i would hate to lose this little giant ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Target feeding isn't the preferred method IMO. If you hit them with to high a cell count, they'll close up. Just turn off your skimmer for an hour or two and dose the whole tank.

Is it a Tongan AC Maxima? Where'd yah get it?:D

4. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

i dont think so, i believe its a regular Tridacna Maxima, it is purple with a neon blue rim and neon blue line variations on the inner of the mantle. check it out at atlantisaquarium.net Gresham. way cool stuff.

5. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I notice you got 192watt of PC, how is it doing under there? I am wanting to get one later.

6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Hey gkw the clam is doing great so far, except my urchin and turbo snails are knocking him off his rock on occasion. i have him now in the middle of the tank, fully expanded daily and opened a little more every day after initial purchase. color is still very bright (so pretty). i am feeding phytofeast live and a very small amount of microvert. it appears to be growing so far. i was scared to try this since i have PC at this time but all is well. i read that baby clams especially maximas require less light. after this summer i will upgrade to MH because that is what he will need when hes larger.

7. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Nice. Good to hear the little bugger is doing fine. I will be getting one soon. :D Also, I have Kent phytoplankton, is it suitable for his diet?

Thanks!
    GKW

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

IMO, i would be inclined to upgrade your lighting. The two clams i had did great for a few months...but pc just inst strong enough for the maximas or croceas...

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Just an FYI. If lighting in the aquarium is not sufficient, the clam may display higher than normal mantle extension. This usually means that the clam is trying to extend its mantle for maximum light exposure because of insufficient lighting.

11. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Sorry, I didn't stated that I will be getting a clam for my 20 gal long w/ 195 watts of PC. Is it enough light? or I have to get MH for it's strong penetration of lights?

If the 195w i have is enough....what type of clam I can put it?

Thanks!
    GKW

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That should be plenty of light for any of the tridacnid clams. If you get a maxima or crocea, however, you'll want them as high up in the rockwork, as close to the lights as possible.