Confused about drilled vs. overflow, etc.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by jcono, Dec 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

I have a 75g in my garage that isn't set up, but it is a nice acrylic reef-ready and it only has one corner overflow. I think it depends much more on the size of your bulkhead than the volume of the overflow.

2. Click Here!

3. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

I have a DIY HOB u-tube overflow--works great and completely silent. I gotta go with everyone else here though and say drill it if you can.

I am not sure how drilling low inside an overflow weir would have anything to do with draining the tank. The height of the grating at the top of the weir dictates where the tank can drain too, unless you have plumbing coming back in somewhere without a checkdown valve. And if the sump drains because the overflow clogs, wouldn't that risk overflowing the main tank?

4. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have an in wall 120 with a HOB overflow and it is working great. That being said- If I were to do it again I would drill the tank. Here is what I would say to you. If you do not drill now and decide that later you want it drilled. It is going to be a ton of work to make that happen. Good Luck!

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have had both types of drains and by far, the best one is a drilled tank. If done right, there shouldnt be any noise. As far as where to drill it, the bottom or back is fine. Should it be in a corner or the middle?, my exp. tells me to place it to either the right or left side. You want to place the mega flow chamber where its not facing a wall and is accessable to you in case you need to work on it. The best advice that I can give you is, always try to think and plan ahead. Luna