Confused about drilled vs. overflow, etc.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by jcono, Dec 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jcono

jcono Astrea Snail

Hello-
    I have just purchased a used 90 gal. which I am using to upgrade from my 46 bowfront.

I have done tons of reading on how to set it up-- seems like most people think it is best to drill it, but then I read a lot about noise issues, also the overflow takes up space Also the bottom of my tank is tempered, so I have to drill the back and use 90 degree elbows.

I can buy a used lifereef overflow instead of drilling. I am confused here because many folks say HOB overflows are archaic and will eventually fail. However Lifereef seems to be rock solid and claims to never fail if used correctly. So...

Should I just drill the back (seems a number of people say drill the center instead of corner) or save the drill for making a closed loop?

Thanks in advance for your advise!
    Jan

2. Click Here!

3. tulare reef

tulare reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i have been using a hob for 2yrs do not like it wish i would have known more about the hobby befor i bought the 90.

4. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

We took down our 75g system to setup a new 120g...

In part of the decision processes was to eliminate the HOB overflow. Though I have a good one, CPR with aqua lifter pump, there is much more maintenance, noise, one tank overflow, and two near misses...

So, we chose to drill with the expectation that once setup and running, there would be a reduction in the on going maintenance of returning water to the sump.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Drill it. The only noise you get is when you make the standpipes too short and the water falls a big distance in the OF. HOB can overflow the tank if stopped up some how.

6. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I agree with Otty, I have a drilled 120 with built in overflows and I have no worries about a overflowing tank or ssump in the event of a power outage.

7. jcono

jcono Astrea Snail

O.K. Thanks for your responses.

Now maybe a dumb question. I can't seem to find out where you buy an overflow to, presumably, attach to the back or corner of the tank. Do I have to make this myself?

Also, if I am planning on using a 1" bulkhead do I actually drill a 1" hole or use A slightly smaller hole saw?
    thanks again!

Jan

8. Click Here!

9. franka12404

franka12404 Astrea Snail

My advice for a 46 gal go big on the bulkhead diameter you want to use at least 1 inch pipe. Remember the water coming up is under presure and moves much faster than going down......

10. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

You can go to your local plastics store and pick up sheets of 1/4" ABS to use for your overflow weir. It is easy to work with, cheap, and they will probably make all of the cuts you need for you. You can even heat it up and bend it. Then just silicone it in. I suggest using triangular corner overflows to save yourself space in the main tank.

11. jcono

jcono Astrea Snail

Actually this is for a 90 gal. tank.
    So would one corner overflow do the job, assuming I get about 600 gph per each drilled 1" hole? Possibly 2 holes at 1" ea.?

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I have a hob with no noise issues whatsoever. I built a Gurgle Buster and it is silent.
    [​IMG]
    I've been using it fo 6 months with no problems. The trick is to keep your flow high to prevent bubbles from accumulating in the siphon tube.

My concern with drilling low in the tank is that if your overflow starts leaking you will drain your entire tank. With a HOB if it gets clogged you will only drain the contents of your sump.