Resolved Cone snail??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kcbrad, Jul 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

No doubt,how many people in Seattle go to the ER with conesnail stings or reactions ? I would seriously doubt it's a situation they would be prepared for.

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well...it's kind of the same thing as zoas and palys. Some include neurotoxins that can kill us, but almost all saltwater vendors sell them and don't warn about this..so...

Anyways, John said the only cones that can kill are from the Pacific Ocean, but all cones are not reef safe. So to the LFS he goes where he will find a new owner. Alright, thread is done!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, there's a BIG difference between getting a zoanthid/paly and a cone snail. The first is that a zoa/paly is a common species that you would know off the top of your head is poisonous if you're a reefer. You can avoid putting your hand on the coral then directly into your mouth to poison yourself. The cone snail has the ability to bite, which is slightly different since you can easily go to pick it up to examine it and get bitten in the process.

The second is that you walk into a store with the intention of buying a zoa. You got a cone snail as a random addition to your order. This means you had no forewarning, like you see on nearly every poisonous saltwater species web page (except for zoas and palys or nearly anything on LiveAquaria, oddly enough): This is a (poisonous/venomous) species. It can sting, and it will hurt.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I've gotten free zoas in orders where I didn't order zoas....and I was a reefer for quite some time before I found out they can be dangerous. I'm not defending the seller, obviously I'm not happy about this, but what happened, happened, so now I have to deal with the situation.

Anyways, I'm not going to argue with you about this.