Cone Jelly

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Speedy, Feb 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Does anyone know anything about cone jellies? Reef safe? Fish safe? Filter safe? Toxic?

I know they have bioluminescence abilities, and that it's a jelly. That's about it. ;D

I got a fuzzy pic but here it is.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

I've only seen comb jellies in species tanks in special exhibits. Usually, there's just special lighting to show their bioluminescence. No LR or even substrate for that matter. Just a bunch of jellies floatin' around.

Noting that some combs have two long trailing "tentacles" loaded with stinging cells, I doubt they're fish safe.

I would bet they need a lot of current as well, but I'm just guessing.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Most jelly fish exhibits are tall round tanks with no power heads or the like. Pumps make quick work of them and they don't do well in typical rectangular/square tanks.

5. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Hmm. I know that they can't be in tanks that have pumps, because they get sucked in easily. However, the species I'm talking about, doesn't have tentacles. At least none that I could see. It was just an egg shaped organism, that looked like it had long strips of coils running in circles inside it's nearly transparent body.

They type you see in the Discovery channel with bright rainbow color displays that shoot through those coils.

Hmmm. Just wondering if they're safe. Thanks for the info guys.

6. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

These beautiful comb jellies are oval-shaped, with eight rows of tiny comblike plates that they beat to move themselves through the water. As they swim, the comb rows diffract light to produce a shimmering, rainbow effect. Voracious predators on other jellies, some can expand their stomachs to hold prey nearly half their own size.Jellies are simple creatures with few specialized organs. Most jellies can detect chemical traces in the water that allow them to locate food, and many are equipped with a gravity-sensitive structure, called a statocyst, that gives them a sense of up and down in the water.

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/living_species/default.asp?hOri=1&inhab=453

Attached Files:

7. Craig Manoukian

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I never seen a hobbyist keep these (around here at least) but I dove with them many times. Insane creatures.

10. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

You will actully find comb jelles in your tank at times, I have ID'ed them many times. These are not your normal "swimming comb's", but sessile pelagic combs that are often seen coming out of corals, usually with two long combed tentacles. The are most common on Caulerpa algae and Sarcophyton. Most are of the order Platyctenida and live on the bottom or in symbiosis on the surfaces of specific plants or animals. When they do move they swim like a flarworm or flap like a bird.

Those seen most often in tank, the ones with the long string liike tentacles

http://www.seaslugforum.net/ctenopho.htm

There are also some odd duck type of Platyctenida. This one on a soft coral and another on a starfish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Craig Manoukian

Wow! How long will they last or are they victims of filtration?

12. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

don't cone jelly's live very deep in the ocean in total darkness.