Condy wont hold on to food.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Greg9MM, Jun 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I have it for maybe a month or 2. In a 54 corner that is pretty much empty other than 3 fish and a few shrooms. Tank has been running for atleast 8-10 months and has a black box LED fixture. I have been trying to feed it but it wont take anything and today I realized that it isnt even mounted, just sitting on the bottom. Is it on its way out? any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If the anemone is not footed that is a bad sign. It will probably just shrink away, common with Condylactis gigantea under less than ideal conditions. Black box LED really is not descriptive enough to make a judgement call. If it's not taking food, then it's lighting or water chemistry.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

+1, what are your water values? and as mentioned a little more detail on your lighitng would help. in my experience thought the occasional feeding helps (a small chunk of fresh fish perhaps twice a month), there is no real need to feed condys or bubble tips.

is the mouth closed? a picture would go a long way

DSC reef and Corailline like this.
  5. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Sorry for the delay in my response. The lights are...165W Dimmable full spectrum led. The mouth is not open, it get pretty fluffy after the lights come on and it is now rooted to the glass in the corner. Still wont take food though. Going to do a big water change this week and see what happens. If it still wont eat maybe i will give it to a friend and see if he has any luck.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

if it's footed, mouth closed, and expanded - it sounds like it's still hanging in there - it's telling you it's not hungry by not taking food. See how it does after you do a big water change. I have not had luck with condys unfortunately with no obvious reason.