Concept Reef: What would you want to see?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Apr 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

$50 for the stand? People would go nuts over that price. lol. Though it shouldn't cost much to build them for small tanks. I would like to get into custom work, but doing kits, as I had thought about before would give me good pushing start as a company.

20" x 20" for a solana 34g would be a great first kit. Maybe a 40 Breeder stand as well.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Here are two different sizes of what I want my stands(concept reef) to look like. I need a name for this line of tanks.

75gallon...which side do RR tanks have the overflow/return on? I will have cutouts for that.
    [​IMG]

This is for a 34g solana (20" x 20"), but It should fit most small tanks(i.e. biocube).
    [​IMG]

This is alternative to above. I would like to offer both styles. All stands are 36" in height.
    [​IMG]

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Lol no, 50 for instructions to build the stand and a door knob with your logo, like a DIY. Not the fully built stand.

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hey man. I havent looked through everything posted but I checked out your site and some of your designs. They look very good. Im like you in a sense that I want to make a career out of this hobby and we are both starting at a young age. Very cool. However, are you planning on selling full set ups? Including hardware? Personally, what would catch my attention would be a build your own reef tank package. What I mean is offer certain products and tank styles and build tanks, or atleast supply equipment that fits the customer's needs. For example, for an SPS reef offer upgraded lights from your standard package along with a better skimmer and recommend a calcium reactor or something of the sort. Just an idea but if I saw a website offering something like that it would really catch my attention. The true customization of it I mean. I wouldnt really want to buy a package and have to upgrade something, make it so there is no need to do. Just an idea, but good luck! Everything looks great so far.

6. Seano Hermano

Yes, I want to sort of do a "build-your-own." But I am not sure how the logistics of selling equipment would work...as far as legality I mean. I could recommend products, but not sell (example) a bubble magus skimmer, if i am not a vendor for them. How would this work? I want to do kits (complete setups) and basically ship them. I love what yo are thinking though.

If I could build my own glass tanks, that would be wonderful. I am still trying to figure out the cost of putting this business together.

7. Seano Hermano

Heck, kit tanks WILL be getting my logo on them. LOL. Maybe for a small fee they can have the logo somewhere where it won't be seen?

$50 for instructions to put together something you buy sounds like a lot of money. lmao. I would like to go without door nobs on the kits, but rather have a magnet/latch mechanism. You press on it and the magnet releases the door. They have these parts at Lowe's.

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Believe me the costs are huge. Im building a large scale (well to me atleast ahaha) frag tank and its going well into the thousands. But selling equipment as a legal vendor could happen way down the road. It would be awesome to have a company as a one stop place to get all of your equipment for a professional and functional reef. If you could pull that off that would be insane. It would take alot of time, but one can dream right? ::)

10. Seano Hermano

Maybe by the time I get out of college I will have that. :) If I keep this up. :)

Perhaps I could buy glass from the glass shop in town. That would cut down costs a bit and I could order whatever size I need. Then I will assemble the panels to make a tank. Just need a prep table and silicone.

Acrylic costs quite a bit more than glass and you can't do rimless(w/o a euro-brace) tanks either. :)

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Good luck in college man. I had a heck of a time. Lol But thats also why I left and dont plan on going back. I thought you can do rimless with glass, just not too tall? My frag tank is going to be rimless glass 13 inches tall. That should be able to handle it though.

....Right? lol

12. Seano Hermano

Yes, rimless tanks are glass. I was knocking on acrylic. I meant that you can't do rimless tanks with acrylic. With glass you can. :)