Concept Reef: What would you want to see?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Apr 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I already have a request from someone on this forum to design their tank stand. It ia for a Salona 34g rimless. He wasthinking maybe a piano black surface/finish, but their is a lot of work in it. I think that would make an awesome setup to show my work...especially in a store.

My original plan was just designing the exterior look of the aquarium. But I really don't know if I could do just that. I would like to offer other things too, like you just mentioned above.

The building of aquarium stands would not be a problem for maye anything <180-250g. After that the stands need to be huge. I am not sure on how much I would charge yet. I think if I built them I would charge hourly and then If I did extrabstuff I would charge separately for that....

Thank you for the comment. I hope this does well. I will probably need to expand my job a bit to actually building the stands(see above). I wanted to design for larger aquariums, like I drew before, but I don't know if many people could even afford those.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

...sounds like IKEA. For reef tanks. Maybe build the designs to be partly preassembled?

Hmm....I don't have anyone I could team up with. I am good with power tools, but. I don't know of anyone else who is....

4. allenmay8

allenmay8 Fire Worm

Since you would not actually be building the final product, here is what I would do to help you stand out from the rest:
    - Have someone build your first tank (your favorite design), and promote that on your website.
    -Have a list of materials needed to build the setup (wood, glass, etc)
    -Include all equipment needed (sump, powerheads, how many electrical sockets needed, etc)
    -Possibly a price range for what it would cost to build? (it would be hard to do this since you are not the builder, but it would help)
    -Design a lot of different setups so people know what your work looks like, and what your artistic standpoint is. Design in-wall systems, corner tanks, frag tanks, 32234235245 gallon tanks, EVERYTHING. The more you know (or appear to know haha) about how aquariums work, the more people will trust you. I love tinkering in photoshop and have had a lot of people ask me to do work for them just because hay have seen other things I have done. It is your strongest asset so use it!
    - I also agree with the people above me, you need to clarify your role a little more. Would you be giving these designs to contractors, or the aquarium owner? If a contractor, you would need ALL dimensions, types of materials needed, etc. If these are for the typical aquarium owner that does not know much about construction, maybe include a little more information about how to build it. If you do enough research, or talk to some contractors, I am sure you could gather enough information to get people started. Tatted has a good point. Maybe hire a builder to help you out.

Those are some things I would concentrate on. You want to stand out among the rest!

5. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

^+1

I think if you are just going to go with the design aspect, I would also include planning for the sump and plumbing etc

the most difficult part for alot of people is organizing all the equipment, and choosing which equipment to use and plumbing it all together. If you can blueprint that up i think alot of people would go for it.

I like your design too, looks good.

6. Seano Hermano

Thank you for your help everyone. I will take these points into account. I like the idea of basically designing every kind of tank. I wasn't sure exactly where to go next with this, but if I was just going to do the design then I could any size tank/setup and also instructions?

It would be cool, as one possibility, to offer the tanks in kits, and also to have a display model in store/on the website. I need to add a lot more to the portfolio tab still. I have drawings, I just need to get them in there.

7. Seano Hermano

Some things have changed a bit. I changed my colors to blue(from red) and white and black.The red stood out too much on the designs. I think it would take away from the reef tanks. So here's what I have now.

Logo...I haven't done it without thee bottom slogan, but I may try that too.

This one is on the website. i think it coordinates very well with the black/blue.
    [​IMG]

If I go into building as well, then this will be the logo I put on the cabinets/stands.
    [​IMG]

Here is my business card. I will have these printed soon.
    [​IMG]

Website below.

Wix.com home4 created by ConceptReef based on Creative Solutions

Having a little fun with this now.
    [​IMG]

...difficult to read here, but the gray text over the fish says "Custom Aquarium Design"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Website look great. I just agree with the previous postings.. Clarify what service your really offering here. I know you say you'll be designing tanks.. So say a person contacts you, and you draw them up a stand and canopy..? I'm a little confused haha.

1 person likes this.
  10. Seano Hermano

Isn't that what design sounds like? :confused:

If I only design...then I wonder if I could be in contract or something with the fish stores? That way I would be sure to get my cut?

If I build my designs(which would be nice) then I was wondering if I could have a display for each store I work with? Basically it would be easy, awesome advertising for me. I suppose the stores would be getting a cut of the money. This is basically backwards of above. I would be designing and building.

11. Seano Hermano

12. Seano Hermano

Anyone else have suggestions/ideas?