Complete tank Upgrade

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by rc_mcwaters3, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

double posted

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

double posted

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. rc_mcwaters3

OK so its been a minute and I have finished the stand and painted the plastic on the tank heres a pic of that:

before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

stand completely stained:
    [​IMG]

and im working on building the canopy for the boost leds

5. rc_mcwaters3

ok so i decided to build a canopy tell me what yall think. ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is kind of what the lights will look like and ill have 8 boost leds 3b, 2w 4 on either side. ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the lights will come throught the top with part of the fixture exposed insted of the whole fixture.

6. ultramafic

ultramafic Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The only thing i might suggest is using a tank thats short enough in your stand that if you need to, you can remove and perform maintenance on your skimmer, return pump, whatever it is you'll have running in there. I say this becuase that setup looks alot like my last sump and i had to remove the sump to take anything out of it, and that was not fun.

7. rc_mcwaters3

true true but there is just enough room to work unnder the standbecause it is so high and about 52 inches long you just cant tell from the pics ;D but thanx for the insight

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Where will you go from here on the lighting? Are you going to make a board or surface to mount them on?

10. rc_mcwaters3

no the porcelin sockets will fit into a small hole drilled into the top of the stand and go through the top of the hood. To explain it better its shaped like a pyrmid and only the top half will be exposed the rest will be wired on the top of the hood so I can replace wires easyier and so it dosent tear up the socket and wires with rust and so i can maintaine everything without taking off the hood. It makes sense to me but its hard to explaine???? ;D

11. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Very nice! looking good so far.

If I may suggest, look into some other Par38 bulbs like Rapidled or Ecoxotic or Nanocustoms, some use CREE leds and may be better for your application. Not to mention they would give you some more color options. Orphek is coming out with their new PR-25 bulb soon.

I'm not saying the boosts are bad at all. I personally would like to have a bit of diversity if I had to get that many Par30/38 bulbs.

Just something to look into,

12. rc_mcwaters3

definitely :) I wanted somthing simple and easy to set up and have so far been happy with the boost brand but have left room for the top cover to be switched for other bulbs from diffrent companys or the rapid led rout. Im thinking It will be a combination of diffrent bulbs from opek, boost, exotic and maby more as they start to become more and more popular ;D