Complete beginner

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Sami, Mar 5, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sami

Sami Plankton

Hey guys,

I am looking forward to getting involved in the forums as I take the plunge into the world of reefing and marine tanks. At this point in time I do not have a tank, I had a freshwater tank back when I was at school (15-18 years old), during this time I also had a tank with two terrapins. When I moved to University the terrapins were given away and my fish moved to a friends tank. I had always wanted to get a marine tank, but always thought it was very expensive and only for 'experts'. As a kid I would go to my friends house and his dad had a 2500g tank covering the wall of his living room, I remember just sitting and watching the fish(Lionfish, Eels, Clownfish amongst others) for hours. However, I do remember he had several incidents where he would lose everything and in doing so lose 10's of thousands of pounds.

Of course, I will not be having a 2500g tank. I am still unsure as to how much the livestock (fish and corals) would cost for say a 75g to 180g tank? I understand from what I have read that larger volumes mean more stability (in theory) and as such are easier to maintain. When does this efficiency of scale come into place, in your opinion?

I am in a wheelchair so I am aware that will provide some additional challenges when dealing with the tank, but I do have someone to help me with some of the tasks if necessary and also know that my local fish shop provide a service to help maintain marine tanks (my friends father used them years ago).

Sorry for the blurb but I figure might as well make the most out of my first post! Feel free to ask me anything or offer any advice.

Thanks,

Sam

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hi Sam, I think reefing is a great hobby, and at times provides for selling orf gtrading coral to re-coup some money, or make it more affordable.
    I've run a reef on a shoestring budget- you wouldn't know by seeing my system though.

I suggest not buyhing anything until you have done a fes months of reading, reading others posts, pros and cons, etc.
    Then, I would search the local reefing clubs for great deals on used items, trades, etc.
    If you have 'craigslist' in the UK, or a similiar site- I'd look there too.

Take your time, START with a drilled tank, sump of some sort, etc.
    And, you don't have to keep any corals- especially the Sps and many lps- at least not at first anyways.
    With easy or no corals- lights are really an issue either.
    I always tell people- the fish are easy to keep alive- the corals/sps are much more sensitive.
    I'd also try and get a system running where you could most of the simple maintenance yourself and with a little help- like for partial water changes; than rely on a service.
    But it's all up to you.

Welcome to 3Reef! It's a great site

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Sami

Sami Plankton

Hi Todd,

I have been researching it for around a month or so, and will continue to do so for a while yet. I plan to visit my local store this week, just to ask some questions take a look at tank sizes up close and purchase another book for me to read.

Why is a drilled tank so important to start with?

Thanks for your reply!

Sam

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

A drilled tank simplifies things in my opinion. Dealing with an external overflow is a pain and noisy. I had both and I'll never own another tank that isn't drilled. It really does have a lot more benefits. From surface skimming to the amount it drains is far superior to external overflows. I also had overflows leak which was a headache.

Lovemyreef2015 and Sami like this.
  6. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Welcome Sami, great decision.

My first sw tank was a Juwel Rio 180 (you may find them in UK on bargain prices I think too) - it is a FW tank and I use it for years like this until I decided to go SW.
    The only change I made was to drop in an internal Tunze 9004 skimmer and replace the daylight 2 tubes with one actinic + one marine white (also coming from Juwel). I kept the filter box inside for charbon and floss and later added 2 flow pumps (small, cheap ones).
    With this setup I kept few easy fishes and LPS corals without issues for more than 3 years until get into larger, more "pro" tanks.

Here is a pic of those times (on picture I am using already a led module which I planned for my new tank, as the RedSea reefer was already ordered :) ) - but for years lived only with 2 x T5 tubes. I think the corals in the tank were more expensive than the setup itself. The only work I made was to change 10-20% water / week - with such "light" filtration is a must.

IMG_1696.JPG

Sami likes this.
  7. 79chopperdr

79chopperdr Plankton

I would recommend a all in one such as a bio cube to start. They are very manageable and good to learn with. Also try to buy your equipment secondhand to save money.

Good luck Sam

Sami likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Welcome to 3reef!

You are very right that there will be challenges, but there is always a way. There was a tank build thread done by a guy in a wheel chair on here a few years ago. He was doing a double 55 gallon in wall setup, if I remember correctly. There were several things that he did to redesign what he did to help him. I will try and find that thread. Maybe give you some good ideas for yourself.

Sami and dacianb like this.
  10. Sami

Sami Plankton

Hey dacianb,

Appreciate the response, especially from a fellow European! Seems like the forum is dominated by Americans (not that there is anything wrong with that, everyone has been very helpful!). I had a Juwel in the past, so I am fairly used to them. I would love to see a picture of your most recent set-up if you have a chance?

11. Sami

Sami Plankton

Hi Chopper,

Have you had experience with BioCube's yourself? How did you find it?

12. Sami

Sami Plankton

Hi Jon,

I would love to see these set-up if the post still exists. I tried searching a couple of things but was unable to find anything.