Commercial fishing estimated to kill millions of sea turtles

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

DURHAM, N.C. – The number of sea turtles inadvertently snared by commercial fishing gear over the past 20 years may reach into the millions, according to the first peer-reviewed study to compile sea turtle bycatch data from gillnet, trawl and longline fisheries worldwide.

The study, which was published online April 6 in the journal Conservation Letters, analyzed data compiled from peer-reviewed papers, government reports, technical reports, and symposia proceedings published between 1990 and 2008. All data were based on direct onboard observations or interviews with fishermen. The study did not include data from recreational fishing.

Six of the world's seven species of sea turtles are currently listed as vulnerable, endangered or critically endangered on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.

More:
    Commercial fishing estimated to kill millions of sea turtles | R&D Mag

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Oh this makes me sad! I've always loved sea turtles and swam with them in Hawaii - it was an amazing experience for me.

Thanks for the article; wish it wasn't true.

4. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

that really sucks cause they are such beautiful creatures :cry:

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in hawaii. big moving rock.