Colt Coral Not Opening Up?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by BrianH123, Apr 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BrianH123

BrianH123 Astrea Snail

On the salt switch time line - i thought changing the volume of the tank over basically a month would be sufficient. Would you have extended this out longer?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Not sure of the brand of lamps they are using to stock these nanos with, but, I would guess they are a low grade/cheap brand. And at 5 months you are probably getting real close to needing some new quality ones. Be careful when you replace the lamps if you still have signs of the gha (could partially be because your current lamps/age). I would consider supplementing. Solely relying on water changes may keep you stuck at lower/undesired levels right from the start. What is your salt mix testing at when freshly mixed? Do you have any pics of the coral when its polyps are extended?

4. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I dont feed him directly, but I use Reef Nutrition phyto to add to frozen food. I think they are photosynthetic feeders, so if your lights are bad then the lil buggers that live in him cant live so then he cant live.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  6. BrianH123

BrianH123 Astrea Snail

Sorry i shouldnt say 'stock' it is actually a coralife PC bulb. On the switch are you refering to cutting back the amount of time the lights are on till the tank aclimates?

I havent tested the new salt mix yet prior to inserting, i have a batch on right now and will test prior.

7. BrianH123

BrianH123 Astrea Snail

Here is a shot around a month ago - and it still looked like this a couple days ago

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Try moving the Colt up on the reef and see if that helps. Many times a coral just doesn't like where it is. Don't even ask me why? I've moved corals that I thought were dead and they came back to life. Try a little cyclopeeze flakes. I feed my sun coral and the colt is right next to him and he's thriving. If your lighting is a problem that might help. But you still probably need new bulbs. Read up on them and get good ones.

Attached Files:

10. BrianH123

BrianH123 Astrea Snail

I am guessing the flakes dissolve and the nutrients are then floating around the water?

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

+1 looks like a leather

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid