Coloring up Red Planet???

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by HollyG, May 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. howsboutafiver

howsboutafiver Banned

New bulbs and a good spring clean will help

2. Click Here!

3. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

Jeeze... Still can't find a PAR meter! Lol. Still no pink or red on him... BUT the green is now brighter and the brown polyps have lightened up in color POSSIBLY on their way to pink ;) I'll post a pic once I get the computer lol

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Hrmm my or a red planet needs to be at the bottom of my tank (only 12" deep) in order to color up under my leds. And it doesn't look nearly as dark as other red planets I have seen, it is kind of a pinkish color and light greens.

5. HollyG

Hmm... I tried taking a pic but my camera isn't catching the right color... Dang. I dunno... Lol I'll leave it be and see how it goes in the long run.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you want it with a green base lower level in the tank and perhaps not directly under the fixture.

If you want RED, as high up as you can put it once acclimated to the lighting. It will loose most of the green base coloration.

Regardless it takes weeks to change coloration or reach final coloration for your tank and lighting. Moving it will only prolong final coloration.

You need to make sure that you have very low phosphates and reduced nitrates, while at the same time providing enough DOC to provide nourishment and prevent color loss.

Hope that helps, easy coral once it finds a spot and is not moved too often.

7. JOSE CASAS

JOSE CASAS Plankton

Yes........... just be patience should regain its color if its a red planet.

8. Click Here!

9. HollyG

The day I got it I glued it in place (after acclimating obviously lol) and haven't touched it since!! Added a large Prizm PRO skimmer (a little loud but works great! Got it for free) It is taking A LOT of junk out and I tested my nitrates yesterday they were at 1ppm... So they are going down and will 0 soon :p and phosphates are 0 aswell! Having a giant skimmer ment for a much larger tank is doing wonders for the coral!! I have only had it for about 3 days and I have noticed a difference in the tank. I know it's a huge skimmer for a 20gal lol but the tank is actually sitting in a china cabnet and with only the front showing, so the only part of the skimmer I can see is the intake and lip of the skimmer in the tank. Once I put the doors on above the tank I probably wont even be able to hear the skimmer. Ok, a little off topic here lol I'm not gunna touch the coral, and hopfully some red will start to show.

10. HollyG

Before/After pics!

Here we go! I got the polyps to close to be able to show you guys the color of this guy. It really does seem like it is coloring up! It looks like I have turned up the contrast between the two! lol I didn't! lol. The green is much brighter! And the "brown" isn't so faded and seems to be turning like a burgendy (hopefully to red eventually)... I thought the brown has lightened but when I compared the pics it has actually darkened and isn't really brown anymore (or at least to me lol). What do you guys think? :D

BEFORE (Day after I got it!)
    021 (800x497).jpg

AFTER (today- 8 days later)
    l;jnbjh 004 (800x489).jpg