Colonial Polyp?? id please

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Jim_Barry, Sep 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pdlman

pdlman Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

it is definately not a colonial polyp. I tried several times to take a better picture with a faster shutter speed. To the naked eye, it looks very feathery and soft and sort of looks like a dandelion when it goes to seed (stem like with an upside umbrella looking top, except smaller.

I am guessing now it is not a type of coral, maybe a flower gorgonian.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Hydroid me thinks (pretty much positive at that). Definitly not any of the corals mentioned above and not a gorgonian. From that last description (that I just read after writting the last sentances) I feel it definilty is a hydroid.

5. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Is it all over mulitple rocks that have other corals on it?
    At one point I thought I had hydroids. But they didn't look like that. Seems to be a lot of variety with those things. They are known to canvas a tank pretty good. :p

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yah Matt, hydroids have many different shapes.

Jim, certain nudubranchs can help eat them. Unfortunatly, no one really imports those kind, so you kinda SOL on that. Typically, they're the "dread lock" looking nudis. No fish we can get really attackes them, nor do any inverts. You can manually remove them, and try to keep them at bay. You can also cover them with super glue or epoxy. Try manually removing them though, it's worked for me ion the past.