Coiled Denitrator DIY

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Birdlady, Aug 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. silverstangboy

silverstangboy Plankton

ok, question is at this point on my own CD, how short can you go with the coil? I was going by a diagram that made it seem much shorter than what you guys are doing, in fact I only have about 30 ft of 1/4" inside, I guess if it is a problem I can add more before it gets into the canister, I just need to wrap the hose so it doesn't see light?

2. Click Here!

3. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

I had an idea of stripping the 0.sub.2 from the water before it enters the coils.. I got a way to do it without chemicals, I just need to source the parts.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Remove the 0'2 thats what the coil does .. as with all things in this hobby the coil was taken over by a few newer guy's as a too simple concept that could be taken and ran away with by some people today working on the principle of if a little is good then a hell of a lot more has to be better , I started making mine with 100 ft of coil that was 25 to 30 yrs ago got the idea from building a sewer treatment plant . Thats where the wet dry idea came from also . Then I went to 80 ft then 70ft then to 50 and so on until I found the Minimum needed. I use 35 to 40 ft of 1/4 polypropylene tubing for a 15 in, tall 3in coil , But that 35 ft could be double wound and make the coil housing less then 12 " tall As for what the 35 ft coil can do I ran just one on my old 750gal and thats all It ever needed . I make them all the same way today . I'd be interested in see your interesting idea keep us posted and Good luck with it..

5. benleow7768

benleow7768 Plankton

Hi, would appreciate if you could help. I made a CD of 50feet 1/4" tubing. Following the specs about 20" tall and 3" wide. Have been running it for 3 months already with flow of 1 drop per sec. My nitrates don't seem to go down. Any idea why?

6. Lauren

Lauren Plankton

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have an 280 gal tank and a 250 support system and have been over run by green hair algae only in the display tank. I have read all of the threads on the Coiled Denitrator. I am still having problems visualizing how to build it. Does any one have step by step directions or photos of construction or maybe mechanical drawings.

Lauren

7. MaMoL

MaMoL Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

this should have what you're looking for

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Lauren

Lauren Plankton

thank-you very much. That helps me a lot.
    Lauren

10. FuzzBall03

FuzzBall03 Flamingo Tongue

Another benefit I have noticed, not sure if this applied to everyone...
    My denitrator seems to have turned into a copepod FACTORY. I use clear tubing and can easily count 100 copepods per every 2-3" of my clear tubing leading IN and OUT of the denitrator.

I built one of these using 100ft of tubing, and a 3" pipe 36" long.
    Been running for at least 3 months now, I haven't tested for the nitrate output... but I can turn the whole tube horizontal and get a massive amount of gas(i believe it be nitrogen, no o2) escape out of the output.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's interesting, never would have thought of that.

12. Reefjack

Reefjack Astrea Snail

I was wondering, could something like this be used in lieu of a refugium on a smaller tank? Unless I'm missing something, a refugium and CD seem to perform the same essential function...