Coiled Denitrator DIY

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Birdlady, Aug 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Thank you for the info Da_Colts [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] That is the way I have my UV Filter hooked up, ;) It is taped into one of my return pumps, But of course I am using larger tubing.
    So when I build this thing I will just tap into the other return line. ;) ;D
    I am not having a nitrate problem yet but I figure if I build one of these babies and hook it up maybe I never will. [smiley=idea2.gif]
    Thank You Again Da_Colts and take care of that arm ( Dam that must have hurt ) [smiley=shout.gif] [smiley=stars.gif]........................ John

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Good to have you back DaColts!!!

4. supremo

supremo Plankton

hi all, i'm new here and 1st thing I saw was this post. I quickly went out to buy the stuff needed, well whatever is available locally that is. got it running, fixed the leaks here and there and finally got it to run at 80 drops/sec to 160 drops/sec by adjusting a valve.

my question is, when i tested the water coming out of the CD, the nitrates are way over 50ppm whereas my water in the main tank is only 10ppm. i know it'll take some time before the bacteria grows but should i let the water (with high nitrates) to flow back to the tank or better to just collect it in a bucket and throw away till it gets better?

also, i read in the thread to adjust it to 160drops/sec when the nitrate hits 0. does this mean the water coming out of the CD or the water in the tank?

thanks,

Dondon (singapore)

5. 00nothing

00nothing Astrea Snail

wow this is a grea thread i have some ?'s regarding the cd as well seeing as how this thing is meant to reduce nitrates should the return water be after a fuge if u are running one as not to take away nitrates from the plants

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I don't think it really will make a difference to the plants as the CD will eventually remove nitrates from all locations, albeit very slowly. I posted the same question about cuelerpa and as near as we could figure out the plant would remove the nitrate it needed faster than the CD but the advantage of the CD is that it does not have a down time so the nitrate removal is constant.

For me it is a moot point because cualerpa is not sold legally in the San Diego area because it is clogging our waterways!! ;)

Btw, welcome to 3reef 00nothing!! Have fun here there is a wealth of knowledge available here!!

Drew

7. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

when the nitrates in the tank hit 10 ppm or below adjust the drips to about 160 per minute.

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I liked the CD I built for my SW tank so much that I just built another one for my 55G FW tank. I put a little RIO 50 on it and it is doing its thing very nicely. The pump needs to be pretty much near the level of the top of the cd and the tank but that is how I designed it anyway. The CD just sits next to the tank. Now I just need to wait a few months and keep the drip rate going!!

Thanks Da Colts for all your help [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Drew

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I built one of these things and put a bit of bottom sand in mine to get the bacteria started off. I just want to know:
    Is the water that comes out of these things supposed to smell like the depths of hell? Mine does. Seems that sulfur fixing bacteria also live anaerobically. How do you inhibit these smelly germs while at the same time encouraging denitrifying bacteria?

Also: how do we know that these work? It seems as though if the drip rate is high then oxygenated water will enter, and if it is too low, then no nitrate will enter fast enough.

-Mike

11. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Setting the drip rate seems to be the trickiest part. I have built two of these devices, one for my reef tank and one for a FW tank. Both are reducing the tank water down to 0 nitrates at this point. They have been running for about 3 months now and just got to that point. I am not having any problem with sulphur out put and I started at about 60 to 80 drops per minute and have since graduated to about 140 drops per minute. When just staring the unit you need just enough water flow to disallow the sulphur problem and encourage the growth of the bacteria but not too much so that the OX level is low...

Drew

12. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

I just saw this. Anyway, I've heard of people jump starting their CD with vodka? I would like to hear what y'all have to say about this.

phil