Coild Denitrator Question

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Hoverman, Dec 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

Not sure what you mean by an oxymoron, which is a contradiction in the same statement. "It turned up missing" is an example because when something "turns up, it is no longer missing." I don't think I listed any oxymorons in anything I stated?

But if you're stating that I contradicted myself, I am not. I am simply saying that coil denitration IS a viable option, but you should definitely try other avenues first. It's not really reinventing the wheel, to use your analogy because sometimes you don't need just a wheel; but an axle, and the bolts to hold the wheel to the axle, and a new drive shaft, but none of that got anything moving so you try a tracked vehicle which may work better when you're stuck in mud.

2. Click Here!

3. JasonSquared

People thought that protein skimmers were crazy 15 years ago, and people thought T5 lighting would never support a full blown mature SPS reef. All of that has been reinvented, and there is a TON of room for innovation. I mean even the idea of RDSB's was far out not long ago... now tons of people successfully use them. But they don't always hold the key. We are just beginning to understand so much in this hobby, and there is so much that we don't yet understand. I mean how many people realize that Science STILL doesn't really know what corals eat naturally? It's true. We force feed them stuff in our tanks, but who knows, if we would only be able to feed them natural food, maybe ALL our tanks would be better off. I don't know about you, but I haven't EVER heard of someone keeping an animal without at LEAST knowing what it eats...

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

theres nothing wrong with the growing technology, and anything and everything is an option. some better than others. do you have a denitrator on your system?

5. JasonSquared

No currently I have no need. But I did have a system that had a nitrate problem, but it stopped when I dosed carbon. Currently I am usually under 5ppm nitrate, sometimes higher when I don't get religious with my water changes which have gone without for over a month at times... :eek: But I am close to 0 without any need other than my fuge.

6. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

Ok, my next question would be if i took off the coil and filled it with sand and just pumped water through it would it work like a DSB or will it need light?
    it is a 2' x 4" piece of black ABS.

7. JasonSquared

No no light, it will make algae grow which will clog any sand. I don't know about adding sand, but I think that it would be hard to maintain a free flow, but it would be a cool thing to try. I guess logically it makes sense that it would act as a DSB.

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

but the flow would have to be slow or oxygen would turn it into an nitrite/ammonia to nitrate converter.

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I'm sorry to interrupt, but........... Aquaboy....just how do you know this???? You're starting to scare me, 'youngen! ;D

11. JasonSquared

He's correct. The O2 must have time to be metabolized by the aerobic bacteria that will colonize the inside of the tubing. If it's moving too fast, it will flow out without being used and failing to create an anoxic condition will add to the nitrate problem and not help. You want it just a bit faster than a drip.

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

im tellin you, look what 3reef has done to me!