Coild Denitrator Question

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Hoverman, Dec 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

well piss, it was fun to make, wanted to see it in action..
    Anyone wanna buy a coiled denitrator, LOL

2. Click Here!

3. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

GAC actually removes tons of things besides polish the water. I deal is mass quanity GAC and read the papers. Borneman has recommend multiple times that replacing your skimmer with GAC is the way to go. Its how he runs his current system. Not exactly sure about the Hydrogen Sulphide and its binding abilities to GAC are but its not bad to try new things. The Coil Denitrifier is a project that even Calfo suggests. I've talked to him about it.

As for the Sulphur denitrater its getting very popular in europe. I know that those pappone guys in Italy swear by them. Particulary the Korillian.

I say try anything. The worst thing you can do is crash your whole tank. You can always replace stuff. Everythings worth a try.....other than a Skilter or something like that.

4. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Yeah, I can relate. Mine was a DIY, and worked good until I had to deal with keeping the flow constant over a long period of time. Too slow, and the sulphide builds up, too fast and it doesn't work at all. THe best thing I ever did for my tank was get rid of that unnecessary piece of crap.

That's about the silliest thing I've ever heard. It's those kind of attitudes that are diminishing our ocean reefs. You really need to get a clue. The life forms we maintain in our aquariums are not "disposable". Yeah, sometimes bad things happen, but we try our hardest to avoid those things. Nothing personal, but please re-think that attitude. Please?

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

I opt for the DSB in a bucket.

6. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

Listen buddy. I am a reefkeeper with bit of knowledge that I can share. I am trying to encourage thinking outside the box. I've been in this hobby far too long to worry about every little things that unfortunately dies. When things go arye I dont tend to worry about it because other than some of the fish every living creature that is in one of my tanks was aquaculture by me. I have been keeping a low impact system for almost 15 years. I think that I have more than taken up for the small percentage of things that have died with the enormous amount of frags that I have given out.

Before you go accusing me of being hurtful to the hobby you need to collect a little more info about who your talking too. As far as additude go you friend are the problem. You and the rest of the ReefCentral Neophytes. I recently found this site and I am trying to contribute my years of experiance to others. I think theres an army of people would back me on this.

I was trying to find a forum with nice people who like to think outside the box. Not RClite with annoying monkeys mods.

This arguement has nothing to do with the gentleman's question. I was trying to answer thoughtfully. If this type of civil behavior is not appreciated I will go elsewhere.

Respectfully
    Scott

7. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

I agree with Scott up to a point. I mean I wouldn't go trying to pour motor oil in the tank or anything because I have a hunch that it might work well for something, but plenty of people use coil denitration, but they CAN be tricky. IMO there are several options that will work better, but I do agree with the attitude that Scott has that nothing ventured nothing gained. This hobby is full of people that light their tank with 3-5 watts of MH / gallon, with 2 lbs of LR per gallon that is all stacked towards the back, the most expensive protein skimmer that money can buy, and all the additives that exist. They do their 10% water change per week and think that its just a formula to be followed. If people WOULD step outside the box for a minute, and use their tank to further the hobby that they love enough to post daily on one of these boards, then I think we'd all be better off.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

well atleast we all agree on one thing, denitrators are more trouble than there worth. its a new year, cant we all just get along. remember why were all here.

10. JasonSquared

Well, I wouldn't go that far either.. I think that they have their place, but that unless you have the time to tinker with them, and pay attention to whats going on, that they aren't really for novices. But that being said, someone that IS ambitious, and has a nitrate problem that hasn't been solved by the following:

1. Less feeding better husbandry lighter bioload
    2. Fuge
    3. RDSB (Deep Sand Bed in a Bucket I believe it was called earlier)
    4. Increasing Flow
    5. Replacing Sand Bed with Oolitic sand
    6. Carbon Dosing
    7. Zeolitic Material ( not necessarily Zeovit or others)
    8. Possibly adding live rock although this is in question...

and not necessisarily in that order depending on the system, then go ahead try a coil denitrator.

11. JasonSquared

Also I don't think that GAC will remove H2S, in very large quantities unless it's catalytic carbon... But Greensand will.

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

jason what you said is an oxymoron, too many people now are trying to re-invent the wheel.