Coast to coast or just Half?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by BoBo65, Sep 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Hey guys I'm wonderin if you think I should do a full coast to coast overflow on my 75 gallon or should I just use the right half as an overflow, and what would your reasoning be either way?? Btw do they have such thing as black glass?

2. Click Here!

3. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

I would just use the right hand corner, works just as good, and gives you more space.

1 person likes this.
  4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Depends. Id personally suggest the coast to coast, because the longer the overflow box is, the thinner the water sheet is. This means quieter as well. (Mine is not full C2C, it's 38" long out of 48" due to the returns on each side.) Like this:
    [​IMG]

scott26 (semi C2C)
    insanespain (full C2C)
    They are really cool, you might wanna PM them? Of course you can ask me too 8)

1 person likes this.
  5. silor

silor Sea Dragon

yea it's really up to you and how you want to space it out, I am not sure about black glass but I'm sure you could paint it.
    If you want you can come look at my set up.

1 person likes this.
  6. cain

cain Astrea Snail

c2c can skim more water.

1 person likes this.
  7. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

i did a modified c2c leaving 6 or maybe a little more inches on each side of my 150g. I left the two back corners available for return plumbing space. i do not get any stagnant surface water in the back corners, all seems to make its way to the overflow. If your real concerned of not removing all the surface water i would advise against a corner over flow. Thats just an opion based on never having a corner overflow set up though. Otty used only one edge of his DT for overflow and his tank performed with exeptional results so shows what little i know :) .
    One more observation with mine, i painted my overflow box black, once i centered my halides in the canopy i had to move them slightly forward as the overflow box casted a little shadow over the top back rock work.
    i also would recommend a bean-animal overflow plumbing. mine has performed great for me if you go c2c.
    good luck keep us posted !

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I would do the coast to coast my self. I love the concept of those and as said above, they are supposed to be quieter

1 person likes this.
  10. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

C thats kinda what I was thinking but move of the right half of the tank so about 24"

Yours def looks pretty cool, I'ma have to go and check their threads out now!!

Id def love to come check your set up out and make a new friend!

yeah that was something I had considered, making it like 30 inches and having 9 left over on each side

Yeah that's the main reason I even started thinking about doing a coast 2 coast instead of getting glass holes overflow kit as planned... my tank is in my bedroom!!!!! Drives my gf crazy at night she tells me to shut the fishies up!!

BTW K+ to everyone for there opinions/advice

11. ascitone

ascitone Plankton

I have a full coast to coast with bean animal and would highly recomend both. I had to use the full coast for structual reasons with my modified euro bracing. I looked into gray glass and it is expensive and the thicker the glass used the darker it looked. I ended up using all clear glass with the back of the tank painted and it doesnt really detract from the overall look at all in my opinion. at the moment i am trying to let some star polyp grow on the over flow. here is a pic. of when I first set it up around may
    [​IMG]

12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Everyone has given some good advice already. You can check out my build thread in my signature. Its really up to you if you wanna go full c2c or a partial like exactlybops. There's pros and cons to both.

Doing a partial and leaving room on the sides makes it easier to do your returns, but it also takes more pieces of glass to build the overflow since you need side pieces. Also I haven't built one like this, but I'm guessing it may be a little tougher to assemble.

Doing a full c2c makes it easy to build the box. Its only 2 pieces of glass doing it this way, and I thought it was fairly easy to assemble and silicone in the tank. But doing it this way makes it trickier to do your return lines. You either have to pipe them over the rim of the tank, or do like I did and run them through the overflow box and out the front of it. This requires another bulkhead, and some precise measuring, but I think it looks the best. One con to this setup is that when the water flows over the overflow, it hits the pipes inside of the box and it does make a slight trickling sound. I can't hear it when I get 5 or 6 feet away from the tank, but up close u CAN hear a trickle. I feel like its insignificant, but for a bedroom tank it may make a difference.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk