Clowns not eating

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Kristiavi, Apr 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

I recently got a pair of clown fish (within the last week) and they dont seem to want anything I feed them. I have tried prime reef flakes, and its almost like they have no intrest in the flakes and I have tried frozen brine shrimp, which they actually avoid in the tank instead of eating. and I have tried freeze dried shrimp which floats and they never see it. I asked the lfs i bought them from what they ate and they told me that shipment just arived and they were unsure what they ate before. What do you feed your clown fish and what should I try?? Thanks so much!

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I had problems with mine eating at first as well. I tried flakes garlic, then marine cuisine frozen, then mysis. No interest whatsoever. After about 5 days they started biting it, and then spitting it out, but there was some interest at least. Mine were tank bred clowns, and they were eating at the LFS. I then bought prime reef frozen, and now they are eating the flakes as well. Just give it some time for them to settle in, when they get hungry enough, they should eat.

Aquarium Fish Foods: Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Frozen Food

4. Kristiavi

Okay so heres my next question. With the frozen cubes soo much gets into the water and if they dont eat it it just gets blown around in the tank. Any suggestions on how to feed smaller portions then the cubes they make?

5. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

I feed my two clowns Ocean Nutrition Formula TWO Marine Pellet(small) 1x daily and a few times a week illl take tiny pieces of raw table shrimp and feed them that(they love it).

6. Kristiavi

I thought about trying pellets. Maybe i will pick some up today. You just cut the shrimp up real tiny before you put it in? Frozen or thawed? Thats intresting. Might have to try it =]

7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

you can take a knife and cut the cube while still frozen and only use as much as you like and put the rest in a ziplock.

8. Click Here!

9. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

With my frozen brine/mysis I usually just drop it in and swirl it around for a few sec. then pull it out and put it back in the tray and re-freeze it. One cube using that method lasts about 3 or more feedings for me.

10. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Mine go crazy for cyclopeeze. If you stick the bar of it in the tank, they'll attack it trying to devour it. They then fly around the tank picking off as many pieces of it they can. Rather entertaining to watch.

11. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I use the pellets as well (occasionally frozen food to balance it out). It took my clowns about a week to really start eating after I got them. At first they showed no real interest. Gradually this got replaced by them "eating" and spitting everything back up. Now they go nuts for food!

So I'd give them about a week before I got worried! :)

12. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

i
    Ill cut off a small dime size piece of frozen shrimp, run it under warm water until thawed then take it to the tank and try to rip off the smallest pieces i can and just put it in the water. they'll fight for the pieces but i try to drop pieces on opposite sides of the tank to separate them.
    wish you the bet of luck