Clowns flashing & jerking their heads

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Beaker11, Apr 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Beaker11

Beaker11 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the info. I added garlic xtreme to their water and no more flashing. Speaking of them laying on their side my female did that last night. She layed flat on the sand then shook until she had just right. Cracked me up. These guys have the funniest behavior I have ever seen. My pink spotted shrimp goby is having a love affair with my cleaner shrimp.........all sorts of love going on after lights out.......LOL

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh wow. My Tiger Pistol and Yellow Watchman have never cheated on each other to my knowledge...:D

The Brittle Star and Harlequin Serpent Star had something going for a while...but I think it was a shallow relationship. Because they no longer sleep in the same cave area.

Oh the night life of aquariums.

4. Beaker11

Beaker11 Astrea Snail

I just found 2 mini brittle stars hiding in caves in my new LR I purchased last week.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What is the clownfish "scratching" itself on? I ask because clowns will rub against an anemone that they're getting ready to nest in in order to get their slime coat to adjust to the anemone's sting. Could be that your clown is getting ready to nest in whatever it is that it's rubbing itself against.

6. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

This is very interesting, because my clowns began doing this in the last week. My poor Frogspawn.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I had a pair of clowns that killed a beautiful elegance coral. Once they killed that, they moved onto our Gigas clam which also died as a result of the constant nudging/biting. I'll never keep another pair of clownfish in a tank ever again (unless I decide to do an anemone tank of course).

8. Click Here!

9. rogerstammy

Yeah, I'm looking into an anemone now. Hopefully they will be attracted to it, since the FS closes up every time they come around. LOL

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Adding an anemone to a reef tank with corals may create more problems than it will solve. :)

11. rogerstammy

Very true.. This is why I have been thinking this thing over, and over and over... This is one thing I DO NOT want to impulse buy

12. Beaker11

Beaker11 Astrea Snail

I totally agree. I was VERY ILL-ADVISED when I purchased my sebae anem. The LFS said my lighting would be just fine. Well I found out what that sebae needed for light and I cant afford it right now so I took it back to a better LFS so it could get proper care. About the clowns flashing.......they only rubbed on my filter intake tube so that would be pretty funny of them to try to nest in or on it.......LOLOLOLOLOLOL but then they do some pretty whacked out crazy things.