Clownfish with Mouth Wide Open?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I just saw the your other thread regarding your sick damsel. That makes a huge difference, in the approach and possible causes.

How many fish do you have?

How big of a tank?

You may have to treat all the fish.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well, I had to euthanize my chromis since it suffered way too much. One of its fins was covered with so many white tufts thta it couldnt even use it! But the clownfish got this right before I ntroduced my chromis. My algae blenny and neon velvet damsel are fine; it's a 29 gallon.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well my Clownfish is in quarantine and has been for like 2 weeks. How long can he go without eating? I'm still treating him but there's not much improvement; his mouth is still wide open and he just swims in the corner. I tried to feed some cyclops so that maybe some could get into his mouth since it's so tiny, but I fear there's nothing more I can do...

5. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

I seen a naso tang that didn't eat for 3-4 weeks.

6. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well let's hope he'll pull through... :cry:

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Hey my clown has the same issue.....I just noticed it 3 days ago....3 tiny red spots on his chin....looked like blood spots, went away into a gray mass and now his mouth is wide open. Please let me know if you find what this is.

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Hey my clown has the same issue.....I just noticed it 3 days ago....3 tiny red spots on his chin....looked like blood spots, went away into a gray mass and now his mouth is wide open. Please let me know if you find what this is.

btw....55g, no coral or anems, lr/ls been soaking for a month total now and just started with clowns for a week now. no sign of spread to other fish yet, only one other clown and a bi-blenny.

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Just read a post on clown fish leaving their mouth wide open....although there was no resolve for the growth on the chin/mouth area....the hard breathing and open maw were due to a lack of oxygen in the water. Do you have a skimmer or air stone helping the flow? or even a power head focused upward to agitate the surface water. I'm deffinately no expert on the subject but i'm looking into it.

gl

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Just a heads up, this user isnt active anymore so your wasting your time. just sayin.

12. EstebanDiamonds

EstebanDiamonds Plankton

Hey i have the same problem, just started with my other clown fish now both of my clownfish have the same problem I really don't know what is the problem, i tested my aquarium and everything seems great. I read out that sometimes this behavior is to set their dominance in a aquarium, both of my clownfish have the same size, i have had them for about one&ahalf. Any idea =/ kind of worried now