Clownfish with Mouth Wide Open?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Does not look so good that is for sure.

Could be so many things. Kinda sounds like a localized bacterial infection, but it could very well be parasitic or viral.

The question then becomes do you want to treat the fish and how ?

Treatment in a display tank is almost always a bad idea, but you can use some oral medications without problems.

Treatment in a fresh QT could put him over the edge as well.

There is not a easy answer. As long as it does not appear to be contagious you may even want to take a wait and see approuch.
    It all depends on if he can still actively eat I guess.

How old is this tank and do you have any current parameters.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

My tank is about 4 months old now. Water paramteres: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20, calcium 460, ph 8.3. It does look pretty bad so I'm not sure if there's anything I can really do. Suggestions?

4. Corailline

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

All right then. I still have some after use with my FW tank, so I might as well give it a shot in my quarantine tank

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Do the gills "stick out" more than normal from the body? Is that a little bit of skin/tissue hanging down from the "chin"?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

The gills aren't sticking out, which I'm guessing is good, but the thing on his chin I'm not sure if thats like a fungus/bacteria or his skin. I've honestly never seen that before, but today you can see very clearly that something white is inside his mouth; probably a fungus I guess.

8. Click Here!

9. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ok I think that my clown is getting better considering that the weird pimple thing has gotten smaller but I'm still keeping a close eye on him

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ok guys come on my clownfish isn't eating still so he might starve so give me suggestions!!!! Isn't this specific forum supposed to deal with fish diseases??? COME ON GUYS SUGGESTIONS!!

11. Corailline

Highly unlikely it is fungus.

Did you start the melafix ? You may need a fresh bottle or check the expiration date.

You need to research for treatments for parasites and bacterial infections in fish, if your fish is not mouthing any corals as missionsix suggested.

Fish aliments are frustrating.

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ehh well I've treated with melafix and what my clown has has gotten worse. The weird thing on his mouth now makes him look like freaken santa claus or something. Really starting to get worried here...