Clownfish with black dots appearing

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by m_hsiao, Feb 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

So my orange clownfish which I've had for about 6 months has some black dots appearing, anyone know why this is? my water parameters are perfect and i've been feeding them a wide variety of diet including brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, veggie flakes, squid and omega2

2. Click Here!

3. macabe

macabe Purple Spiny Lobster

my LFS owner has it on his clowns and i got it on mine no one nows what it is but im pritty sure its nothing to worry about i just say my clowns are uniqe =)

4. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

mine has it too... does it look like this?

Attached Files:

5. m_hsiao

mine aren't that apparent yet, it never had it before though, just started getting tiny little spots recently

6. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

mine have been there for about a year. They started to show up shortly after the fish was changed to this tank. Water params are good. The other tank that the fish lived in before, however, had nitrates through the roof, 100+. So, after the fish was placed in a healthier environment, she started getting spots. But, she acts healthy, eats good, etc. I was told not to worry bout it, so i havent too much.

7. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

i have 2 clownfish, the less dominant one or male has 2 black dots, little smudges!
    i think he got it from the tank i had him in before but i have no evidence to suport this

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Perculator

Perculator Feather Duster

my less dominant clownfish is starting to get them allso. Maybe is for the dudes?

10. m_hsiao

my black spots are gone, that was just for a short while.. the diet and water parameters have always been the same, not really sure how they just disappeared :p

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Black spots are usually the result of Hyper-Melaninization which is caused by the fish being stung by an anemone or coral. It's harmless to the fish but if the condition doesn't go away, I would consider removing whatever is stinging the fish.