clownfish stirring up sand!!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Gotteeguy, Sep 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gotteeguy

Gotteeguy Flamingo Tongue

My tomatoe clown recently "stole" the carpet anemone from my little percula. Well about a week after he started hosting it, he also started kicking up sand around the anemone with his tail and back fins. it really gets annoying because i have to dust off the corals and LR after he does this, and the microfilter starts spazzing out too from the sand grains getting in the pump. any explanation to why he does this?
    the tomatoe clown and the percula are both loners, so he can't be doing this because of spawning behavior..
    but the funny thing is that the nem isnt even touching the sand so its pointless if hes trying to 'clean' it!

2. Click Here!

3. ynzheng

ynzheng Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

mine did that as well probably they were scratching but I did not see any harm effect and I had my clown for 1.5 years already

4. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

some clowns just do this, i think maroons are the worst for it. i have one that digs holes all the time.

5. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Its a spawning behavior they will do it even if they are alone in the tank.. they never know when another good looking clown may be passing by hahahah

6. Gotteeguy

Gotteeguy Flamingo Tongue

thats awesome because i might be getting a male for her soon haha