Clownfish not eating flakes and/or pellets

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Foreverfishy, Aug 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

That was what they were on that they loved..now they wont even eat that. I was thinking of trying that frozen seaweed, but not even sure if that would work.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Try some frozen mysis shrimp with pods the pods bottle is orange, put a little shrimp in thats thawed then put some pods in that should get them to eat.

4. Foreverfishy

just to make sure you are referring to Copepods, correct?

5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

2 times a day i would think is to often depending on the amount given, IMO
    i would cut that down to once a day, they probably are not hungry when you feed them and are picking on bits when your not looking, and as said a Little garlic soak seems to help entice them to eat, O and i use Omega One Flakes marine garlic on and off with other foods and have had good luck with it for some time.

1 person likes this.
  6. leighton1245

Yes that is is the one

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

K+ It is a very common mistake when first starting off to overfeed the fish. This can be very dangerous and water quality will suffer along with the inhabitants. Fish always look hungry and will beg for food like a stray cat. I feed my fish every other day and then never more then they can consume in a few minutes. Your fish will thank you for it in the long run.;D

8. Click Here!

9. Foreverfishy

Thanks Vinny and to everyone who responded!

When I went to the LFS the older lady who was assisting me said the same thing as you did. Her response was that I was overfeeding the fish to much and only need to feed them every other day, (for the same reasons as you stated). Once I stop feeding them everyday, the fish "should" eat the food and I "shouldn't" worry about them not eating. From there she said there will be ways to tell if they aren't eating i.e. to skinny. lastly, she pointed out the companies that make fish food are no dumbies and want you to purchase more food thus the reason why there directions state to feed them a couple times a day. (never really thought of that even though I probably should have)

-Shrek

10. leighton1245

Nice i totally missed how much you was feeding them when i looked at the thread. I only feed every other if not every 2 days its a bit extreme but no algae issues or feeding issues so far. :)

11. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Two words: Frozen food

Just saying, can't go wrong.

12. Foreverfishy

Did you happen to read my first post? I do feed them frozen.

Thanks for your imput though